View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 12:38 PM
One of the reasons GSD are not as popular as Guide Dogs as other breeds is that they tend to have a very long stride and this needs to be matched with an equally long striding partner!
kiwijan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2011, 02:00 PM
JRTs! The other night we were woken by deep growling and woofing (from the under the duvet I might add!). We had recently had the cat-converter nicked off the van so OH ran to the bedroom window and there was a flippin thief getting into the side door of the van! Needless to say he used a few choice words and the bloke ran off but Jonah got top praise for alerting us!
uri1411
New Member!
Male 

29-03-2011, 02:06 PM
i was just curious..no intention of getting one.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
With the GSDs just after WWII their temperaments were absolutely cr*p, my father's first GSD was one of these from the top dogs of the period & was PTS for biting my brother without any reason, if it hadn't been for my German bred GSD intervening my brother would have been badly bitten, my mother wasn't strong enough to get my father's bitch off my brother, but my bitch was.

There is no place in the UK for a dominant/territorial "guard"dog left alone-it's against the law for starters
So those of us with dogs that guard the property should not leave them alone? Even my collies are territorial when im not home and wouldnt let someone enter without confrontation!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Unless your dogs are called "Guard Dogs" then the Guard Dogs Act does not apply.

Hence when people put up signs to say Guard Dogs are on patrol etc, they need to be aware that they will then come under this legislation!

If they are just pets with an overdeveloped sense of territory as long as they do not break any OTHER laws, you are ok!

HTH
Greenfae
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2011, 02:45 PM
My Mam's Mini-poodle is an awesome guard dog, which makes me feel a lot better about her being on her own (well, without another human)

He is a little do with a big dogs bark, although the worst he would actually do is give an intruder a damn good lickiing.

During the night if something upsets him he wakes her up by licking her hands of face and then running to the window. Its usually just someone walking past as she lives in an OAP's housing estate.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 03:43 PM
My Estrela bitch is an awesome guard. I wouldn't want to be a burglar in my house anyway. My male makes a racket then hides upstairs but my bitch would certainly do the job. I doubt she would bite but she would certainly keep a person in one place until I got there. She's had someone pinned before now, so I have to be extra careful these days, as she's becoming mature and so is her instinct to guard.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by roo roo View Post
geese.theyre the best guards there are.
I guess they would be a pastural breed, due to their grazing

Whilest many are friendly, certainly ime lots of GSDs and BSDs do not need any training to show territorial or protective guard behaviour.

More commonly they need training, which is not always given, to control and limit it, to avoid risking falling foul of the law.

In terms of "Beware of the dog" signs there are also legal considerations as to whether the owner has prior knowledge of aggression/risk, which can significantly impact on the outcome in some animal-related injury/damage litigation.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
With the GSDs just after WWII their temperaments were absolutely cr*p, my father's first GSD was one of these from the top dogs of the period & was PTS for biting my brother without any reason, if it hadn't been for my German bred GSD intervening my brother would have been badly bitten, my mother wasn't strong enough to get my father's bitch off my brother, but my bitch was.

There is no place in the UK for a dominant/territorial "guard"dog left alone-it's against the law for starters
I don't think anyone is actually saying there is a place in the UK for such a dog However, my GSDs (and collies) are sometimes left in my secure garden while I nip out - because my dogs would bark at strangers, does that make it illegal??
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by roo roo View Post
geese.theyre the best guards there are.
Completely agree
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >