Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

28-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
As for the"Wary of strangers"that was a UK addition to the breed description during the 1940s to 1960s to allow for the awful temperament of most of the breed that had been bred in the UK during this period of time .
Tbh I think most 'dominant' and 'territorial' breeds are wary of strangers. Although think that's the polite way of putting it
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Some insurance companies ask if is a dog/s in the household, don't really know why if has no relevance regarding law in lot of cases(from what have read ). Any dog is useless whatever breed regarding guarding/protection of property/family just as many humans, unless however loud a bark/shouting or chasing intruders away without harm to them(the intruders) occurs. Reasonable force? Very much a grey area and 'namby pamby' views etc.
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2011, 08:02 PM
If the GSD was not meant to having guarding traits why would a third of the breed test be made up of protection?
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Not Greyhounds thats for sure
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 06:48 AM
No sign of the OP or any reasons for posing the question in the first place then?
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Some insurance companies ask if is a dog/s in the household, don't really know why if has no relevance regarding law in lot of cases(from what have read ). .
I think I've been asked that too H but then I don't think I've ever been asked what breed if I said yes I had a dog. I did wonder if it was to do with damage caused by a dog, chewing etc but I've never been asked if I had a cat and they can also cause damage so maybe it is to do with a deterrent, I don't know?
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2011, 08:25 AM
you may laugh but Missy is a great guarding dog, she has a deep bark for her size and makes a huge noise when she hears anyone at the door. However once people are in the house she flops on her back for a belly rub.....
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by scout75 View Post
If the GSD was not meant to having guarding traits why would a third of the breed test be made up of protection?
I agree Scout75. All my GSDs have shown strong guarding traits, especially property guarding. The vast majority of GSDs haven't been used for shepherding for many, many years and so the shepherding traits have been lost.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
No sign of the OP or any reasons for posing the question in the first place then?
Is Israel on a different time zone ??
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I agree Scout75. All my GSDs have shown strong guarding traits, especially property guarding. The vast majority of GSDs haven't been used for shepherding for many, many years and so the shepherding traits have been lost.
I was thinking that. It is all very well saying they are a shepherding breed and are not supposed to be 'guard/protection' dogs, but how many GSD's are actually used as sheepdogs? not many I'm guessing. Surely there is a reason they are the dog of choice for police protection dogs, security (with handlers), protection based dog sport...?
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »