ETA: http://www.kilikanoon.com.au/kili/ne...article_id=227
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
If you win the lottery try a bottle of Penfold's Grange Hemitage

ETA: http://www.kilikanoon.com.au/kili/ne...article_id=227
OUUUCHHH!!!! That's crazy - I bet the cork would have deteriorated when they opened it!!! Would they actually drink it?

The most expensive bottle we ever purchased cost £125 in a restaurant in Paris - but it was my 30th so got spoilt rotten it was truly the best wine I have ever tasted in my life - it would have to be at that crazy price!
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-06-2005, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by maplecottage
OUUUCHHH!!!! That's crazy - I bet the cork would have deteriorated when they opened it!!! Would they actually drink it?

The most expensive bottle we ever purchased cost £125 in a restaurant in Paris - but it was my 30th so got spoilt rotten it was truly the best wine I have ever tasted in my life - it would have to be at that crazy price!
bet that tasted good had one myself perfect
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-06-2005, 08:44 AM
I like most Australian red wines Im not fussy

any recommendations welcome
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

26-06-2005, 08:46 AM
We have had a few bottles of GH, not that old, but I would guess 70s vintage. I wish we had held on to them - would be worth a fortune now Oh well, they tasted good on the way down

I don't think I would like to try a 50s bottle - probably vinegar by now. I reckon it was purchased as a status symobol by someone with more dollars than sense We do have some 30s, 40s, 50s port. The last bottle of 50-something we opened was very, very, good
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
We have had a few bottles of GH, not that old, but I would guess 70s vintage. I wish we had held on to them - would be worth a fortune now Oh well, they tasted good on the way down

I don't think I would like to try a 50s bottle - probably vinegar by now. I reckon it was purchased as a status symobol by someone with more dollars than sense We do have some 30s, 40s, 50s port. The last bottle of 50-something we opened was very, very, good
I think you did right in drinking it, might as well enjoy a really good drop if you've got it. The port sounded amazing - port does age sooo well! Sounds like you've got a really nice selection in the cellar! Australia really does some great reds, and see that they're a strong contender for their whites at the moment too - NZ has been trying to improve their reds and think they are getting there too

We were foolish to try a 40's bottle of red, this was years ago back in NZ, cork had deteriorated and it tasted like what I'd consider battery acid to taste Not pleasant at all. The oldest bottle we've got at the moment is a Cuvee Dom Perignon Vintage 1993 - not quite sure what to do with it, we considered opening it when Fern arrives but for the meantime it just sits and waits. We had an 1980's version of it but gave it to a good friend who we thought deserved it
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by fredsdoghouse
bet that tasted good had one myself perfect
Sometimes it's worth it to get a good one once and a while hey Fred?
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 09:57 AM
CHARDONNAY RECOMMENDATION:

Purchased from: Tesco

Brand: Rawnsley Estate, Hunter Valley Chardonnay 2003

Description: It exhibits a fully ripe Chardonnay bouquet with peach and citrus orange characters. Some subtle charred french oak, and it's a full bodied Chardonanay with great lengh and persistance offering a soft but fresh acid finish.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

26-06-2005, 10:12 AM
I must admit that I am not a 'white' person. There are a couple of grape varieties that I like but find that the Chardonnays, S Blancs, etc. are generally very over-rated. In many cases I think they have suffered from fashion - "Chardonnay is in so let's churn it out by the mega-gallon, never mind how it tastes, just stick a label on and it will sell to the sheep". Now reds are a different story - a good red is a lovesome thing
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 11:05 AM
SB, agree with you on the Chard front - it's been a challenge to find a good bottle. I do enjoy a Sauv blanc though I must admit but it does take some searching to find a decent bottle.

People who drink for fashion are missing out though!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >