View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2006, 04:35 PM

Medication for spayed bitch with slight incontinence?

Daisy has been on and off Propalin syrup (vet says to wean her off when the problem subsides) for about 3 months. She has her good and bad days and is not incontinent, just tends to be damp around her rear from time to time. This sometimes causes a noticeable smell and I don't want her to have the added problem of the urine affecting her skin.

If Propalin is not going to be a success, does anyone know of any other medication for this problem? As I say, she is not incontinent, just 'drippy' which I know is a side effect of spaying in elderly bitches.

Thanks. K.
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2006, 04:56 PM
PPA worked well for my dog and she was off it after a year, at the time she went on it they had just banned it so all I could get was what a vet I knew had stocked (it was banned in the US for human use but they lifted the ban for veterinary use)....anyway, the vet I worked with was also using something called DES (I have no idea if its available in UK), I didnt have to use it but it is an alternative, I found this link for it with info on.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...rol__des_.html

The 'drippy' problem is incontinence, its just that its mild. What I used to do was just use a very mild baby shampoo, just a small squirt in a bowl of water if my dog had 'leaked', and then just towel dry the area, I did it about once a day (if needed), your right you dont want urine burns on the skin.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Hi Katrina a couple of points, the only effective medication I know of for incontinence is Proplyn.

The 'damp rear' may be due to Daisy not cleaning herself very well, older bitches tend not to, (they can't always bend around so easily) and if her mouth gets sore she won't lick herself so much anyway.

It helps to cut the hair short around elderly bottoms and use baby wipes. I have noticed Amy doesn't clean herself as well as she used to.
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Thank you Flipper and Mini.

I think you may have a point re not cleaning herself. For a while now she has been eating rather delicately and is on/off her food, though she seems happy enough and will chew a bone if I give her one.

I'll get some baby wipes in to keep her fresh and will give her rear a wash down with the baby shampoo. I've been using dog shampoo but I think its a bit harsh for this area when used too often. Thanks again, K.