View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
New2Dogz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2010, 07:05 PM

Is it essential to use a dog specific shampoo?

I would like to introduce my JRT pup to the joys of bathing - especially after a weekend of playing in the mudbath that used to be my lawn . . .

I haven't yet bought dog shampoo and am wondering if this is really necessary or is it just yet another clever marketing ploy? I see that these shampoos cost upwards of £3 for a small bottle which strikes me as somewhat expensive. Can I not just use Johnson & Johnsons baby shampoo or top to toe wash instead (for human babies) as these are very gentle and with 'the same ph as water' to quote the bottle.

Interested to hear people's thoughts . . .
Panda84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2010, 07:34 PM
I think its a controversial topic but I have read on a different forum that you can use pantenne shampoo on dogs but I dont know if that is just for poodles because they have hair rather than fur....I think baby shampoo is bad though
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Use dog shampoos. You can dilute them and will need very little for a JRT. A £3.00 bottle should last you well over a year. Dog skin is different to people's skin. At work I have several different shampoos for various coat types and even colours and they all work differently. IMO it's not a marketing ploy, and I'm generally a cynical person!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 08:14 PM
I usexd to use Johnsons baby shampoo on my female Kerry as she can be itchy-scratchy with some shampoos but then I read in the grooming question page of a national dog magazine that you shouldn't use baby shampoo on dogs. I now use an evening primrose dog shampo. They last ages as you shouldn't really be bathing your dog too often-unless it has a habit of rolling in fox poo!
New2Dogz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Many thanks for that - I'll get some dog shampoo for Millie then. It's always best to get the 'lowdown' from the experts!

Should I get one that is specific for white coats as she's predominantly white with tan markings? Or just a puppy shampoo for now? There are so many different shampoos at the pet shop!
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by New2Dogz View Post
Many thanks for that - I'll get some dog shampoo for Millie then. It's always best to get the 'lowdown' from the experts!

Should I get one that is specific for white coats as she's predominantly white with tan markings? Or just a puppy shampoo for now? There are so many different shampoos at the pet shop!
Try to get as natural as one as possible, to cut down on harsh chemical and better for environment too! Worth hunting on line first, and get one you like the smell of LOL!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 11:57 AM
And on another note.... I've been using dog shampoo on my hair for months now... it's never been so bouncy and shiny and my psoriasis has disappeared!

So, if you get a huge bottle, don't worry about using it up!
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
And on another note.... I've been using dog shampoo on my hair for months now... it's never been so bouncy and shiny and my psoriasis has disappeared!

New2Dogz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2010, 12:10 PM

I might just try that then . . .

What is different about the ingredients that they put in dog shampoo - does anyone know?
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2010, 12:18 PM

I had to do this once when I ran out of human stuff! It just doesn't lather the same and i unfortuanately didn't have any doggie conditioner either
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >