Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 11:13 AM

Ball focus

I have been building Zak's drive and focus for his ball on a rope (which is the toy I use to reward my dogs during training) in order to further motivate him to track for his toy. I have laid a few short, single leg tracks since he came to me a couple of months ago, but decided to stop as he didn't have enough drive for his ball initially.

However, I now appear to have the opposite problem He is now so toy focused that he is constantly badgering me either for the ball that he knows is in my pocket, or he won't "out" the ball once he has hold of it without a battle.

Anyway, today I did no tugging type of play with him (which I also use as a reward) and just made him return the ball to me, "out" it and I would throw it again. It appeared to be working by the end of our session and he was leaving the ball, not immediately, but almost first time every time. I will continue with this type of training for the next few days before re-introducing tugging play into our routine again.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how they would train a dog to "out" his ball when he really doesn't want to . I have usually trained the out in pups and not in 10 month old workline GSDs who is desperate to hang on to it

Also, other than leaving the ball at home on regular walks, does anyone have any ideas as to how I can stop him badgering me constantly for the toy or trying to mug me for it when I reach into my pocket for, say, a polo mint or my ipod I am just ignoring that particular behaviour at the mo.

Cheers.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 11:27 AM
This is a blessing and a curse IME. On the one hand you have a dog who will turn somersaults for his toy. On the other you have the problem of getting the ruddy thing back.
I have two dogs like this. (sigh) I have been working hard on this and can now get the ball back 90% of the time if both dogs are there and 99% of the time if only working one dog.
That`s acceptable to me. It`s been achieved through sheer persistence, tantrums, craftiness and occasionally through flouncing off and refusing to even look at them.
So I`d say persistence is the key.

When starting tracking with Daisy - her end goal was her ball, which I put at the end of the line.
The trainer suggested we use low-value toys on the way but I found she wasn`t that bothered and was only interested in her ball on a rope so we skipped the `stages` thing. It seemed to work but we only did a bit. However, even now her scentwork is remarkable.

Daisy and Prince carry their balls most of the time off lead. I call them back regularly to throw them , which has helped with the Release problem. This means the play with me becomes more exciting than just having the toy, you see. To get the buzz of the chase they have to give me the toy.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-01-2012, 01:41 PM
I used to be focused on my balls ,but i grew out of it .,
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I used to be focused on my balls ,but i grew out of it .,
Bet you haven`t.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I have been building Zak's drive and focus for his ball on a rope (which is the toy I use to reward my dogs during training) in order to further motivate him to track for his toy. I have laid a few short, single leg tracks since he came to me a couple of months ago, but decided to stop as he didn't have enough drive for his ball initially.

However, I now appear to have the opposite problem He is now so toy focused that he is constantly badgering me either for the ball that he knows is in my pocket, or he won't "out" the ball once he has hold of it without a battle.

Anyway, today I did no tugging type of play with him (which I also use as a reward) and just made him return the ball to me, "out" it and I would throw it again. It appeared to be working by the end of our session and he was leaving the ball, not immediately, but almost first time every time. I will continue with this type of training for the next few days before re-introducing tugging play into our routine again.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how they would train a dog to "out" his ball when he really doesn't want to . I have usually trained the out in pups and not in 10 month old workline GSDs who is desperate to hang on to it

Also, other than leaving the ball at home on regular walks, does anyone have any ideas as to how I can stop him badgering me constantly for the toy or trying to mug me for it when I reach into my pocket for, say, a polo mint or my ipod I am just ignoring that particular behaviour at the mo.

Cheers.

A case of be careful what you wish for...........

FWIW I do not use a toy to motivate my dog to track, he would be FAR too high and his aim then would be to get to the end as quickly as possible, when I want him to get round as accurately as possible finding all the articles. Using a ball at the end can result in "track happy" dogs.

I use food.

But if you are not competing then it is not a problem.

I have a "that'll do" command which signifies that no ball is going to be produced and often do not take it out on "walks".

Having a battle to get the ball out of his gob is counter productive, as he gets bigger and stronger you are never going to win.

The dog must learn that out means "drop the ball whenever and wherever I tell you", if he does it IMMEDIATELY, you can reward him with the ball, if he does NOT, then no ball will be forth coming in the future.

Most people make the mistake of making a dog ball obsessed without teaching the essential out.

Do not put any tension on the ball string and you can try pushing the ball into his mouth.

I would not pay tuggy with a ball, it is not a good idea IMHO.

The reason is that you cannot make a ball "dead" like you can with a tug toy. As soon as a dog drops the ball, it becomes alive again.

I would use a bite roll and ensure that you play tuggy with both hands on it (on the roll NOT the handles) as close to his mouth as you can, when you want him to out, press your hands against your legs so that there is no movement and do nothing until the dog outs.

GSD tend to like just carrying the ball around, the throw is not necessarily of higher value than the chase.

I would drop the ball and I would also make sure that your dog will play with ANYTHING, otherwise you get a dog which looks under control when you have the ball but is not without it.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 04:03 PM
We taught a ''thats enough'' or Pat does a ''walk now'' and doesn't re-appear the ball again..... so they get used to ball focus.....then once the command is given they know the ball has gone forever....well on that walk at least
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 04:06 PM
We play the Chillout game a lot, My guys love this game and have a good T'Thanks you' command. We also have a 'Finished' command - which means the game is over and you have to get lost and do your own thing!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply. I am definitely going to have a think about which method suggested might work best for Zak and I.
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-01-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm having the same problem with my GSD, she will give the ball to hand when she's the only dog on the walk, but if there are other dogs there, you've no chance. She is just enjoys carrying the ball around!

My Springer I have the opposite problem with she will drop the ball straight away at my feet on returning and as yet I'm not managing to get her to retrieve to hand. Any hints on teaching this?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Most dogs drop, run away, etc with retrieve objects because they have not been taught all the different steps, owners throw items before they have taught them to give them up, hold them properly pick them up properly.

I will find my retrieve article and post it again.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >