Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
karut
New Member!
Female 

20-05-2008, 08:23 PM

TPLO surgery - sheppard/corgi mix

Hi Everyone I'm new here. My Sheppard/Corgi mix is undergoing surgery as I type this. Any suggestions for recovery when he returns home would help. I have 4 stairs leading into my house.

I would also love to hear from other Corgi owners.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 05:53 AM
Hi - can I suggest you also post in the health section? You may get a higher response there. In the meantime,

youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 06:38 AM
Hi and welcome to Dogsey.............Hope your little one makes a full recovery soon. xxx
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 07:03 AM
Hi and welcome to dogseey.

I am sure you are a bag of nerves at the moment, my newfoundland had tplo surgery on new years eve this year.

I don't know about smaller dogs but i am sure you are a aware it is an invasive surgery with bones being cut etc. On saying that when i went to pick jess up from the surgery i was told she probable wouldn't be able to walk for a couple of days, so i was working out ways to lift a 55kg dog around. When i got to the surgery the vets door swung open with a bang and my girl came running out which i was gobsmacked about.

It is a long recovery but now jess uses her leg absolutely fine. We have had a lot of problems with the scar healing up and she is now still in bandages as she had her plates removed 2 weeks ago as she had an allergic reaction to them. We are the minority though as i know loads of dogs 4 weeks after surgery are doing really well.

If you go into my profile and look at my threads you can see jess post surgery and the problems we had, but please don't let it frighten you as i will repeat again there are people on here and personally friends i know that never had one problem with the wound.

Good luck for today, i am sure your little one will just want to sleep tonight and tomorrow. They are amazing how they can just get back into using there legs so quickly. If you have any questions please pm me and i will try to help.+
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by karut View Post
Hi Everyone I'm new here. My Sheppard/Corgi mix is undergoing surgery as I type this. Any suggestions for recovery when he returns home would help. I have 4 stairs leading into my house.

I would also love to hear from other Corgi owners.
As for the stairs and taking for a wee etc. i used a sheet or towel as a sling and put it under her belly and supported her as she did any walking or if you can pick them up would be my advice. Within a day or two they can walk quite well. Keep on a lead as the medication makes them think they are well enough to run around and you don't want that. They need to be supported and slowed right down for the time being.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Hi and a very warm welcome to Dogsey
karut
New Member!
Female 

21-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Bronx came through his surgery okay. Thank you for the advice. Actually even though he is part Corgi he is actually 100 lbs. He is the size of a german sheppard in a Corgi's body maybe a bit taller than a corgi. so I have the same problem with his size.

I'm just not sure exactly what they mean by keeping him quiet. all advice would be helpful.
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 12:53 PM
myshell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2008, 01:10 PM
karut
New Member!
Female 

21-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks to everyone for the welcome.

I'm so glad I found this site. I just wish I had found it sooner.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >