Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah howard
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-08-2006, 11:58 AM

how to ensure my new dog and old dog get on

Hi

We've had tess, who's four, for two years now from the dogs home. Yesterday we also adopted another dog, sparky (male) who's three. They seem to get on ok, except for this morning when tess tried to polish off Sparky's food. They are totally different in personality, tess is very giddy and loud whereas Sparky is very docile and not interested in play. How can I ensure they'll get on and forge a good relationship?

Thanks

Sarah
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi Sarah I would feed them separately (to begin with at least) . Don't make a fuss of one in the presence of the other, give each ot them some 'one to one time' with you, don't leave around toys or anything that could cause friction until the pair bond together. Good luck
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

21-08-2006, 12:54 PM
I totally agree with the advice given. We are in the same situation as you in introducing a new dog to our household only 3 weeks ago.

We have had Glazby for 3 years (he's 4) and have just brought a bitch into our household.

We have fed them separately - Glazby in his usual place and Abby in the garden with the door closed so that they can't get to each other.

I think the key whilst they are getting to know each other is not to allow a situation to arise where a fight is likely to break out: feeding, toys, bones etc etc

We were also advised to make sure that the dogs had "time-out" from each other. Poor old Abby was a bit overwhelmed with Glazby to begin with as he didn't want to leave her alone for a second and so we let her out in the garden for an hour or so (her favourite place) and things really improved when we put them together again as she was calmer as was he.

We also separate them when we go out although we have left them now for about 10 minutes together. We make sure that toys aren't left out and wouldn't leave them any longer - not that we think that they would fight particularly but incase they started to play which can be just as ferocious!!

Good luck with things - we have found that after the first 3/4 days things really started to settle down as they got used to each other.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Totally agree with Mini's reply. I've taken on "other people's" dogs for some years now, and there's usually a bit of friction to start with, but it usually all works out ok in the end
pxxuk
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2006, 01:34 PM
This is a good thread... I was wondering the same!

I have a 3yr old boy Lab x and I am getting a a new girly Leo X at the beginning of Oct. I was wondering what I should to to help them get along and when I am out at work etc... should I do what I normally do with Snoop and leave pup in the (large) kitchen or leave them together. I wouldnt want pup to chew up my kitchen!!