Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2010, 12:08 PM

Dog losing A LOT of fur

Hey guys,

/ive owned dogs for years and understand casting and how it can relate to the time of year however im starting to become concerned about my Totts. Ive only owned her coming up 4 months now. I know she cast a lot but it has become really excessive over the last week.

She has a really thick "collar" of fur, ive always used half checks with no problems but noticed a bald spot on her neck near her chest i checked over her collar and found the chain had begun to corrode and was only plated not stainless like i had been led to believe. I took the collar off immediately. That was over a week ago. But now shes near enough lost her full collar, i wouldnt say its thick at all only one bald patch still though so think there may be more to it than just the collar

Every time you she sits with you it as though shes left half her fur with you.

Help please
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 12:13 PM
It`s a bit late in the year for a moult IME - unless she`s coming into or just had her season? Is she spayed?
If you`ve only had her 4 months it could be the change of surroundings or food. Is she well in herself?
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2010, 12:23 PM
See thats what I thought which is why im so concerned. We got her when she shouldve been moulting at her most.

She hasnt been spayed yet as she went into heat the week after I got her. So its been coming up 4 months since her season.

Her temprament has never been better, shes a very nervous dog but with a lot of perseverence we have been working through it and shes been doing very well. Still skittish with loud noises but thats it. She seems very comfortable in her surroundings now and has even just begun playing this week and doing zoomies (shes 2). Shes been on raw since I got her, and before that she was being fed scraps from the table so her coat should be better, not detiorating imo.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2010, 01:33 PM
I have one at present who is loosing coat like it's going out of fashion.

She was in season back at the beginning of may, and would have whelped at the start of July. So, 4 weeks from that I am not surprised that she is dropping coat - my girls tend to get their full coats during their season and hold it till after they would have whelped - so about 9 weeks - before casting, depending on their homones will depend on the level of the moult - Gretchen is going for it big time.

My breeds both also have major moults that are age related - normally about 18 months or so they drop everything and look terrible, but it comes back in fairly quickly.

If there was scratching or biting at the fur then I would pobably get it checked out but otherwise i'd pop her in the bath and then use the hair drier to help the loose coat out.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
It`s a bit late in the year for a moult IME - unless she`s coming into or just had her season?
One of mine has just finished, the other is shedding like mad at the moment - so not too late if it is a breed that normally has a big moult
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by KateM View Post
I have one at present who is loosing coat like it's going out of fashion.

She was in season back at the beginning of may, and would have whelped at the start of July. So, 4 weeks from that I am not surprised that she is dropping coat - my girls tend to get their full coats during their season and hold it till after they would have whelped - so about 9 weeks - before casting, depending on their homones will depend on the level of the moult - Gretchen is going for it big time.

My breeds both also have major moults that are age related - normally about 18 months or so they drop everything and look terrible, but it comes back in fairly quickly.

If there was scratching or biting at the fur then I would pobably get it checked out but otherwise i'd pop her in the bath and then use the hair drier to help the loose coat out.

Thanks for the info. Ive only ever owned dogs, the other girl I own was spayed when i got her so this is my first intact bitch so had no idea they go through that. Id just never seen moulting like it, its as if she growing a fresh coat all in one go. It looks awful poor girl.

Is there anything I can do to hurry along the process?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Mine have thankfully all finished (just) Maybe just hormonal?
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Heres hoping, was just concerning because of the amount of it, have never seen a dog lose so much fur so quickly! Saying that shes the first intact bitch ive owned and the first short coated dog ive owned, every days a school day eh.

If it persists for another week or i find any more patches without fur ill take her to the vet.

She has seemed to be quite hormonal, her season seemed exaggerated, her body still hasnt recovered, she went into phantom and now this. She is definitly getting done dont want to put her through all that again plus im allergic to dog hair so the excessive moulting isnt appreciated lol
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2010, 04:50 PM
My labs fur is coming out like mad at the moment. I've just given them all a bath, got a handfull out of the plug then another 3 after a good brushing. My Patterdale however left hardly any hair in the bath and even after a brush there wasn't much. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed a bath will have done the trick or at least slowed it down a little.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't really know but we are nearly 4 months in & I've still got the hoover permanently attached to my arm, as soon as I finish, the floor is covered in fur again in minutes!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >