View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2016, 08:42 PM
To call someone a "vile person" like that is pretty horrible, pretty VILE itself. At the end of the day, these collars are supposed to be used IMO as a last resort. If me shocking my dog mildly will help prevent an attack and I knew of no other ways, I'd use one. If the option is shock collar or pound/death etc. I'm sure which one the dog would pick. And there are too many unwanted dogs for me to listen to any noise about dogs being subjected to the collars merely going to "loving people". It's really easy to sit on a pedestal and judge other people, especially ones who, like Gnasher, seem to love their dogs. Acting pompous and all knowing doesn't help anything.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2016, 09:27 PM
The problem is that these sorts of threads promote the idea that there is no other option to these barbaric collars than death. It is not the case. If a dog can be trained with pain, it can learn. If a dog can learn, there really and truly is no need to use pain to train it. Simples really
Legacy23
New Member!
Male 

04-03-2017, 04:27 AM
I joined just to add my $.02

I have always been deadset against e-collars but I decided to buy one and see what it was like. I've used it on my APBT but only in beep or vibrate mode. That's because I was afraid of hurting him. We just last night I decided to try it on myself and I can honestly say that if you haven't tried on yourself then you shouldn't comment in the thread. I haven't put it on my pup since trying it myself but I can say with confidence that if I did it wouldn't hurt him in the slightest. Feel free to ask me any questions you have.

Thanks
Kevin
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-03-2017, 09:04 AM
What a long thread.
My dog got electrocuted once.
He was not a happy boy.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2017, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by Legacy23 View Post
I joined just to add my $.02

I have always been deadset against e-collars but I decided to buy one and see what it was like. I've used it on my APBT but only in beep or vibrate mode. That's because I was afraid of hurting him. We just last night I decided to try it on myself and I can honestly say that if you haven't tried on yourself then you shouldn't comment in the thread. I haven't put it on my pup since trying it myself but I can say with confidence that if I did it wouldn't hurt him in the slightest. Feel free to ask me any questions you have.

Thanks
Kevin
I have tried one on myself, Kevin. It hurt and I felt it for a few minutes afterwards. It was set on a low setting. It went from not feeling at all on the very lowest to hurting (still on a low setting). There were 12 of us in the group (canine course) that tried it and reactions varied from mine to yours. Everyone felt it differently.

If your dog was doing well without a collar, why did you get one at all? If your dog was doing well with the vibrate and tone, why would you use the shock?

Because you can really doesn't mean that you should
Legacy23
New Member!
Male 

04-03-2017, 02:24 PM
Hi Chris, how long ago did you use it? I just bought this a couple of weeks ago so maybe it has different levels than yours. To answer your questions I bought it because although he was doing well he could have been doing better and the e-collar is a helpful tool for some situations. Also, as I said in my post I have not used the shock mode in him. I've only used it on myself.

My model has levels from 0 to 100 and they say most dogs levels are around 3 or 4. I didn't feel it until I turned it up to 25 and even then it wasn't pain that I felt, it was kind of weird but it made me laugh actually.

I hope that clarifies a few things for you.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Hurting a dog or any animal doesn't make him respect you just fear you.
Legacy23
New Member!
Male 

04-03-2017, 03:44 PM
Hey Brenda, the point I'm trying to make is that I don't think it hurts.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2017, 05:50 PM
It was a 'modern' collar, Kevin.

The problem with the damn things is that you don't know if it hurts. Both our experiences were different as were all the student's experience of the collar in the class situation. Every dog will feel the collar differently too. You can't know in advance what any dog will feel and what level they will feel it at. Let's face it, if they worked without pain, why would you need more than the vibrate mode?

What you achieve in shock mode is done in fear of pain or at the very least heavy discomfort. I want achievements to be made because my dog understands what I want, not because of fear of the consequences
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-03-2017, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Legacy23 View Post
Hi Chris, how long ago did you use it? I just bought this a couple of weeks ago so maybe it has different levels than yours. To answer your questions I bought it because although he was doing well he could have been doing better and the e-collar is a helpful tool for some situations. Also, as I said in my post I have not used the shock mode in him. I've only used it on myself.

My model has levels from 0 to 100 and they say most dogs levels are around 3 or 4. I didn't feel it until I turned it up to 25 and even then it wasn't pain that I felt, it was kind of weird but it made me laugh actually.

I hope that clarifies a few things for you.
What I suggest for dog tortures is do us all a favour, stick the collar around you neck, turn to high and leave it there
Page 32 of 42 « First < 22 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 > Last »