Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
danny teflon
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-11-2009, 01:22 PM

how can i keep my dog off my bed when im asleep

my 3yr old staffy loki has started to climb onto the bed after me and my girlfriend have fallen asleep.
if i wake up in the night and tell her to get down, she does with no aggression or stubborn-ness but then when i wake up in the morning, there she is again!

she has her own bed and during the day if she wanders off thats generally where she can be found, but at night she will not sleep on it.

she doesnt bound onto the bed, she does it as gently and as stealthily as possible so not to wake us, but its still annoying, we have to change the bed sheets daily and i dont want to wander about all day smelling of dog!

i understand from what i have read she sees us as her pack and dog packs sleep all together, is this correct?
and if it is how do i stop her from doing it?

its the only thing she does that could be classed as bad behavior, and shes only been doing it for the past few months and in every other aspect she is the perfect pooch. i do not want to put her in a seperate room or crate her at night, i just want her to sleep on her own bed on the floor. any ideas???
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-11-2009, 01:34 PM
i think its really cute!

the only way i know is to close the door

if you want to stay in sight of her you could buy a dog gate and lave the door open?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by danny teflon View Post
my 3yr old staffy loki has started to climb onto the bed after me and my girlfriend have fallen asleep.
if i wake up in the night and tell her to get down, she does with no aggression or stubborn-ness but then when i wake up in the morning, there she is again!

she has her own bed and during the day if she wanders off thats generally where she can be found, but at night she will not sleep on it.

she doesnt bound onto the bed, she does it as gently and as stealthily as possible so not to wake us, but its still annoying, we have to change the bed sheets daily and i dont want to wander about all day smelling of dog!

i understand from what i have read she sees us as her pack and dog packs sleep all together, is this correct?
and if it is how do i stop her from doing it?

its the only thing she does that could be classed as bad behavior, and shes only been doing it for the past few months and in every other aspect she is the perfect pooch. i do not want to put her in a seperate room or crate her at night, i just want her to sleep on her own bed on the floor. any ideas???
No its not why she is getting on your bed, she is doing so because the opportunity is there.......... i.e you are not stopping her, your bed will be warn and snuggly, and you will be in there, that why she is sneaking on at night.

If you dont want her on your bed, close the door so she cant get in your bedroom
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Shower in the morning?
danny teflon
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Shower in the morning?
REMINDER: This thread is in one of our more serious sections - so please be -extra- careful not to post any off-topic replies. We aim to archive these sections as a useful resource. Thanks. ha!

i shower every morning before work, just not on saturdays.

i understand that shes taking her opertunities where she can, but when shes in the livingroom she wont get up on the sofa or even try to, she just stays on her doggy bed and ive tried taking her bed from the livingroom upstairs but that didnt work, ive even tried clicking when she climbs up when im reading or getting dressed and she still gets up when im asleep.

its a pickle wrapped in a conundrum
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 02:25 PM
The fact that she's getting away with it for a while each time she tries is probably giving her the encouragement to keep doing it. I think if you want to crack it without shutting her out of the bedroom, you'll have to try to stay awake so you stop her each and every time she tries, before she even makes it onto the bed. Basically each time she makes it onto the bed, you're back to square one in teaching her not to.

I do wonder whether she's warm enough in her own bed - what type of bedding does she have?

If you haven't already, an old single duvet in half makes a nice 'cosy' addition to a dogs bed and will give her something to snuggle into.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 02:31 PM
I have a staffy and they can get really cold in the night. Hali's right about her getting away with it for a little while. You have to tell her to get back to bed as soo as she makes a move towards your bed.

My staffy sleeps totally covered (head as well) under a blanket when it starts to get cold. That way she's cozy in her own bed and doesn't need to get into mine
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 03:34 PM
hi awww
yip ,in my expirience sbt's like to be snugglier than most,extra blankets and a baby gate for now would be my route of action

one of my dogs do it too,but he never stays on the whole night,he always ends up on his own bed
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by danny teflon View Post
i dont want to wander about all day smelling of dog!
I think you`ll find I was well on topic.

danny teflon
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-11-2009, 08:11 PM
she sleeps on a big foam filled dog bed with 2 fleeces, a cushion she has had since she was 4 months old, 3 cuddly toys, my girlfriends hooded top that we carried her home in the first day we got her and a memory foam pillow i didnt want that we got free with our matress. spoilt!

i may try staying up all night seeing as its saturday, see if that works.

my missis thinks its cute as well by the way but, its not her feet the dog sleeps on! she says im being unfair.
not that i expect any of you to get involved in my domestic but am i being unfair? my dog is so good with everything else, no problems with kids, other dogs, no annoying behaviors, no nudging for attention, dont need a leed to walk her,no barking unless shes letting me know theres someone at the back gate (tell a lie, the only other thing she does bark at is clothes blowing on the washing line, but, thats funny more than annoying)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >