Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Alison2006
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2008, 05:30 PM

Cavity Wall Insulation

Just wondered whether anyone out there has had cavity wall insulation and whether they have had any problems with it? I took advantage of the council's scheme on this and wish that I hadn't. I wasn't expecting a big vent to be installed 50 inches up my wall (which isn't straight) and a big funnel on the outside of the house. I had a warm house which is now draughty. I also have concerns as i've since read that its not suitable for homes that are near the sea with strong winds. I have an inspector from the installation firm coming to view my house next week, almost a month after the installation!

Just wondered whether anyone else has had problems with its installation and how (if) they were recified.

Thanks
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 05:59 PM
To be honest I have never heard of cavity wall heating, insulation yes, but never heating.
Alison2006
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Whoops I did mean wall insulation, i've now corrected the post. Well spotted!

Alison
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 06:35 PM
hello

We have it in this house but it was done years ago before we got the house - however i think you have to get it done again perhaps after a certain period of time...
so ours might have given up the ghost.

but our house isnt cold infact its often too warm ...

if you arent happy with it insist they correct the vent etc - i didnt think you needed something sticking out the house though permanently .... you often find the people the council use can e cowboys so make sure its all been done correctly
Schnauzerbabe
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2008, 08:12 PM
We had our house cavity wall insulated about 3 years ago and we have no vents in the wall they just drilled holes on about 4 levels across the width of the house and pumped in a foam like stuff and then sealed the holes our house now is so warm sometimes too warm we also had a loft insulator in as well at the same time...
Sue
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 09:40 PM
i had it put in a few years ago my house is now damp and it never was before but then again the cavity is there to let your house breath so makes sence really

i wish i could get rid of it to be honest
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Schnauzerbabe View Post
We had our house cavity wall insulated about 3 years ago and we have no vents in the wall they just drilled holes on about 4 levels across the width of the house and pumped in a foam like stuff and then sealed the holes our house now is so warm sometimes too warm we also had a loft insulator in as well at the same time...
Sue
Same here ours was done around 3 years ago and our house is lovely and warm, no damp, in fact at time's it too hot, which is good especially with the cost of gas/electricity these days.

We had small holes drilled where the insulation was piped in, we had polystyrene balls though as our house is made of poured concrete they couldnt guarantee that that foam would reach all the cavities.