Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chloepuppy24
New Member!
Female 

03-02-2017, 07:35 PM

HELP - Mini Aussie Pup barking and nipping on walk

Hi,

I have the best mini Aussie pup who is 15 weeks old. She's already house-broken, crate-trained, and an angel (most of the time).

However, this week she just started behaving differently on walks. She has developed a loud bark (2-3 in a row at a time) and a slight growl when she tugs on the leash...she then comes along behind me and nips at the bottom of my coat.

Has anyone else ever experienced this behavior? Do you know how to stop it?

Thank you SO much, in advance.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2017, 08:55 PM
What happens if you just stand very still and don't look at her the second she tugs the lead?

She's playing and she's found a game she likes. It gets a rise out of mum and turns into a lovely game of tug. How to stop it is not to play the game
cos
New Member!
Female 

04-02-2017, 07:04 AM
Ahhh good old aussie herding behavior (:

I have an australian shepherd myself, and when he was little he used to do something similar to this. Aussies are extremely intelligent and very vocal. My guess is she's frustrated while tugging and she wants to let you know she's frustrated, or she thinks it's a game and it's a play growl. Cosmo used to be frustrated that he couldn't eat my meals and had to watch me eat them and he would sit there and bark his head off at me.

My suggestion would be to stop and remain completely still and boring, no touch no talk no eye contact, until she's ready to settle down and continue on the walk. This may take some time as it sounds like she's got a lot of pent up frustration. Maybe try playing with her indoors a bit to get out her initial burst of energy?

Puppies are very bouncy and don't know where to direct their energy, especially aussies. It might help to carry a little stuffed toy or ball with you so you can redirect her excitement from your coat to the toy.