View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lvcardwell
New Member!
Female 

20-06-2010, 06:25 PM

Does feeding complete produce big doggy piles?

Hello doggy folk
I have a 5 year old collie x who has been fed BARF all his life, and loves it. However it can be inconvenient when visiting or travelling. What is the best complete I can choose that doesn't produce HUGE amounts of doggydos?:
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2010, 06:29 PM
We have been feeding "Barking Heads" complete dog food and they do small firm poops. This comes in different varieties-they have been having Salmon and potato as Cherry had an itchy scratchy phase. Doesn't have nasties in. Comes in 2kg bags at about £8.50, 6Kg £22.00 or 12KG at about £40.

Another good quality complete food we have fed ours on until recently is Pero organic chicken and rice. Nice smell too-the fishy one above does smell a bit but this one smells of herbs. It comes in 2kg bags at £7.99 and 12KG at about £35.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2010, 07:10 PM
I was stunned at the decrease in volume when switching to Barf. Shamus would deposit a two-bagger twice a day on complete and clearing the garden required a shovel. It`s so much easier now.
How about Naturediet pouches?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2010, 07:37 PM
i have noticed a big size decrease since i put jake on to raw, not as much to clean up now
lvcardwell
New Member!
Female 

21-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks everyone for their rapid replies. BARF suits Dodi very well and he loves it, but this is not very convenient when we're visiting away from home. Will certainly try Pero and Barking Heads if I can locate supplier, and not containing the nasty stuff must be a bonus.
I have tried Chudleys and he loves it but the piles are positively mountainous and frequent!

Dodi isn't too keen on Naturediet - not sure why, he doesn't clarify!

Will report back when changes have been made.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2010, 12:04 PM
I feed raw even when I am on holidays in hotels - Just go to the supermarket or buthers every day or so

But you shouldnt have a problem feeding compleate - just an increase in poo - nothing really you can do about that. The higher quality the less the poos - but its stillgonna be loads
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2010, 01:08 PM
I can honestly say I have never noticed a difference in size or volume of pooh! Raw didnt suit ours. They do still occasionally get chicken wings or legs - the reason for this is that whilst they get "bone" in their diet, no anal gland problems.

Maybe folk feed too much on complete diets....
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2010, 01:22 PM
What about a grain free kibble such as Orijen? it is expensive, but won't break the bank if you are only feeding it for a week or two.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Hi Lynn how about something like Burns Pouches or Arden Grange tinned dog food. Both look to have good quality ingredients and will travel well.

I have noticed dogs on kibble seem to have a much larger 'output ' than those fed on raw . Also you may be better sticking to a moist food if your dog is not used to kibble , dogs fed on kibble seem to need to drink large amounts of water compared to those which are raw fed and you would need to get your dog used to eating kibble over a number of days. Best to try any new food at home first really.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Natures menu is also in sealed trays, very handy for travelling.

If you really want a complete then most rice and potato based foods wll give less bulk than wheat based foods
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >