Female 

04-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Argh things changes all the time. I cant keep up
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
I've been told (once - ages ago) that it would help PREVENT bloat, and now you tell me, its the opposite???
I was told this too, but many times!
First read it when I was researching Bullmastiffs, and since then, nearly everyone has told me to use a raised dish.

I hate it when things contradict each other, because you don't know what to do
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-06-2005, 09:05 PM
I think that the majority of people with large-breed bloat-risk dogs do use a raised dish.

I was just reporting, for information purposes, the findings from this particular research project. I do not know if this research has been substantiated by other findings.

There is always new research that shoots down accepted practice in all areas of life. It is very confusing. We can only do what we feel is best, based on information and experience.

SB
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Yes SB and thank you

Its an entire science in itself: dog owning I mean...

What food, what collar, what training and so on...

But hey I learn everyday
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2005, 11:28 PM
I heard that raising the dogs bowls reduced the risk factor then I heard the opposit, that the raised bowls add to the risk, so I have raised bowl and bowls on the floor, how I see it if a dog was in the wild more often than not it would drinks from streams etc, which are at floor level? also something that helps if you have a gulper is if on dry food add water AND put a few dinnerspoons into the bowl, the dog has to eat slower around the spoons rather than just plow in and gulp the lot up this can also be used with wet foods too.

Mo
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

06-06-2005, 06:44 AM
Hi S/B, yep it was scary time, especially with Sweep as she had complications after her surgery, vomiting & d/rear vet said was caused by anaesthetic
What I found interesting was Gwen her daughter had it at 3mths of age, it was a few yrs later that her mum Sweep8yrs now got it??!!!! So bit back to front wasn`t it? When Gwen had it she was recovering from parvo & was still taking several types of drugs as her digestion was still giving us some worries so I`ve always put the bloat down to that. Since her mum had it I didn`t know what to think & I`m still not 100/% its the hereditary factor in my 2`s case although I`ve not ruled it either! When Sweep had it at aged 6 & halfyrs old, she had just come into season & I was caring for her litter brother who was very very poorly. The scare with Gwen, I`d lost my sister & husbands niece within 6wks & we were moving into a new house! A few mths later my g/daughter took ill, so you see there were other factors involved, thats why I`m undecided. I do hear about their siblings & upto now! its not happened to any of them
Vet blames my raw feeding & didn`t suggest the gastroplexy.
I now have my own goats & make yoghurt with their milk which they have regularly. I keep a very careful watch on them & hoping it`ll not happen again.
Christine.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-06-2005, 07:38 AM
Hi Christine

At first glance it does seem odd that the daughter should have suffered bloat before the mother but logically I suppose, with any inheritable condition, there is no reason why it should not present first in the offspring and later in the parent.

I find there are just too many contradictory theories about bloat: dry food/raw food/raised bowls/ground level bowls/swallowing air/not swallowing air/peas & beans/exercise/not exercise - the list goes on. It would seem that stress could certainly have been a major contributing factor in your case.

I think that if you know your dogs may be prone, and there is no concrete evidence of a 'cause', then you just have to be very vigilant.

Fingers crossed that you have no more 'nightmares'.
SB
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

07-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Hi S/B, thats the maddening thing tho, no known cause!!! Just possabilitys to what may be the cause/s, raw/dry food, raised/not raised bowls etc etc
One thing I thought was strange, was the age of Gwen. Have you or anyone had/heard of a pup that young having bloat??? I`ve asked a lot of people & haven`t heard of anyone yet.
And as you say, being very aware & upto date with all/any ifon on it is best way of dealing with it for now

Fingers crossed that you have no more 'nightmares'.
And why do these things always happen at nightime or w/ends
Christine.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3