Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
homalley78
New Member!
Female 

01-02-2017, 05:25 PM

Where to crate puppy?

We brought our little guy home right before Christmas and we’ve kept his crate in our bedroom. At first, the pup would go in the crate and go to sleep without whining or barking. After two-three weeks though, he started whimpering and barking. The whimpering and barking only last 10-15 though. Our night time routine did not change, just the puppies reaction to the crate. Is there something that could be wrong or do you have suggestions for how to help him?
Also, our little pup will sleep straight through the night (10:00-5:00), once he’s fallen asleep. The problem is that my husband has recently been getting up in the middle of night to use the restroom, which wakes up the puppy. Once up, our little guy does not want to settle back down. My husband and I have been talking about moving his crate to a different room so that his sleep is not disturbed during the night. We have had our little guy for 6 weeks and he’s 15 weeks old. Is he ready to leave our room? I just don’t want to damage him emotionally.
Thank you so much for your advice!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2017, 06:30 AM
You can move him anywhere really but cover the crate to make it dark and leave a radio on playing quietly. That should help.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-02-2017, 01:27 PM
Or don't put him in a crate/cage.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-02-2017, 01:42 PM
Personally I think all pups should be crate trained even if as adults they are no longer crated, there will come a point when they will be crated at the vets and if they are used to it they won't get stressed. I think you can train them to sleep in any room tbh. I used to sleep on the sofa for the first few weeks or so until they were fully settled in their crate, just because it was closer to the back door for night time toilet trips and closer to where I wanted them to sleep eventually. I do always cover my crates so that they are very den like, although 4 of mine currently sleep in their crates with the front cover up as that's what they prefer. The young male I took on recently screams blue murder if I get up for the loo in the night but shuts up the instant I return, I think he'll get better with time.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-02-2017, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Personally I think all pups should be crate trained even if as adults they are no longer crated, there will come a point when they will be crated at the vets and if they are used to it they won't get stressed. I think you can train them to sleep in any room tbh. I used to sleep on the sofa for the first few weeks or so until they were fully settled in their crate, just because it was closer to the back door for night time toilet trips and closer to where I wanted them to sleep eventually. I do always cover my crates so that they are very den like, although 4 of mine currently sleep in their crates with the front cover up as that's what they prefer. The young male I took on recently screams blue murder if I get up for the loo in the night but shuts up the instant I return, I think he'll get better with time.
Ours gore in a crate at the groomer. He is perfectly fine with that. We don't feel the need to do so at any other time.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

02-02-2017, 03:03 PM
Not all dogs are the same as yours though and many dogs get stressed about anything they aren't used to. So better to get them used to as many different things as possible while they are young.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-02-2017, 03:29 PM
Not all dogs are the same as yours though and many dogs get stressed about anything they aren't used to. So better to get them used to as many different things as possible while they are young.
But why get them used to something, as in our case, we won't use?

And I agree - not all dogs are the same. I just don't see the case for a cage unless the animal is otherwise out of control.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

02-02-2017, 03:46 PM
Oh what tosh, dogs in vets that need surgery or xrays etc will be crated, so it is necessary. What would putting an out of control dog in a crate achieve? If it's out of control how would you even get it in there? It's great your dog hasn't required any training, but most dog do.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-02-2017, 03:53 PM
Oh what tosh, dogs in vets that need surgery or xrays etc will be crated, so it is necessary. What would putting an out of control dog in a crate achieve? If it's out of control how would you even get it in there? It's great your dog hasn't required any training, but most dog do.
Thank you for your charming response.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

02-02-2017, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
Thank you for your charming response.
You're welcome, anytime.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >