Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 03:48 PM

Jin is a teenager now!

And her recall has gone out the window, not to mention her lead mannors!

We've had to go back to basics - long line at the park and rewards every 5 steps when in the right place.

*Sigh*

Training in the house is still good though, so not everything is lost.

How long does this teen-ness last? *worried face*

Got any tips?
tyr
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2011, 03:57 PM
With a JRT? No idea - I think it depends on who you ask. Some owners I know appear to be resigned to life-long teen-ness! But my BSD is slowly becoming more sensible. She'll be 3 in December. Does that help any?
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2011, 04:12 PM
My staffy was a total pain in the backside from about 6-8 months.

All I can really recommend is keeping consistent with training, with firm but fair rules.

Be more stubborn than they are!
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 05:06 PM
THREE YEARS??

I don't need her to be sensible, I just miss her reliable recall and mannors onlead!

I think I will be waiting a week or so before letting her off the lead again.... I dont want to reinforce any 'ignoring' or 'running away' behaviour while out... *sigh* Dogs eh?

Shes not even 6 months yet...... only almost 5 months!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Everything went down the drain with Bo at around 8 months. She is still a massive handful (to say the least) at 26 months.

All depends on the dog I'm afraid.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Oh man! I am worried now!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Louie's manners went out the window at 7 months - he has his moments but I think I have it under control (he's just over a year)
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Dexter was 13 months when I adopted him; he was a total teenager.

He's 2 now, and is showing signs of calming down a tiny bit.....

Still a teenage loon though
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Well to give you a bit of hope.. my dog started to be a bit less keen on recalling .. never bad though, and I just made sure I had REALLY tasty treats out with me. Also whistle trained to make sure I have emergency back up.
She's a year now and I still take treats out (less tasty now!), but a lady even commented on her attentive recall the other day which was nice She's hardly a naughty teenager though!

I think your doing the right thing going back to basics. Just make sure recall is THE most exciting thing in the world. LOTS of praise and reward for coming back to you.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
Well to give you a bit of hope.. my dog started to be a bit less keen on recalling .. never bad though, and I just made sure I had REALLY tasty treats out with me. Also whistle trained to make sure I have emergency back up.
She's a year now and I still take treats out (less tasty now!), but a lady even commented on her attentive recall the other day which was nice She's hardly a naughty teenager though!

I think your doing the right thing going back to basics. Just make sure recall is THE most exciting thing in the world. LOTS of praise and reward for coming back to you.
Thank you!

And yes, she gets lots of praise for recall, and I always have chicken in my pocket... its a good job I am not veggie!

One of my pal uses a tube of soft cheese as a treat for hers.... its less messy and doesnt require buying every 3 days, I might have to try that next!

Thanks for the glimmer of hope!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >