Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 07:13 PM

Feeling like a teenager

And not in a good way!!

Has anyone else had issues with spots in their late thirties (or thereabouts lol). Over the last few months I have been getting loads on my forhead, nose, round the mouth and even the back of my neck and body

I never suffered from spots as a teen, always had really good skin, and I'm mortified to be suffering now. Anyone got any solutions or tips?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Huh, I am in my late 50s and have spots and wrinkles!
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 09:30 PM
According to my doctor, if you did not have spots as a teenager, you are likely to get them in later life....I used to be bothered with them, but have started using Tea tree face wash and its keeping my skin clear.........
tattoogirl73
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2012, 09:34 PM
i've just started getting them at 39 it's so annoying. i've never suffered from them before so it's been a big shock to the system.
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Huh, I am in my late 50s and have spots and wrinkles!
The wrinkles are thankfully staying at bay so far

Originally Posted by Moli View Post
According to my doctor, if you did not have spots as a teenager, you are likely to get them in later life....I used to be bothered with them, but have started using Tea tree face wash and its keeping my skin clear.........
Oh joy!! Will give the tea tree a go, thanks Moli.

Originally Posted by tattoogirl73 View Post
i've just started getting them at 39 it's so annoying. i've never suffered from them before so it's been a big shock to the system.
I'm about to turn 39, it's def a shock. No one tells you about this lol
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Ah, the joy of hormones! As we get to 40ish and ovulation isn't as reliable, oestrogen can start dominating, one of the effects of which is more spots.

I take load of evening primrose or starflower oil (whichever's on offer at Holland & Barratt) to help my body keep my fluctuating hormones in balance. Also, look after your liver, as that has a role in breaking down excess oestrogen as well as all the other stuff we throw at it.

In the more immediate term I have found that the face cream Effaclar K, made by the French brand La Roche Posay (sold in Boots I think), is really good at clearing up spots without drying your skin out. I use it around the time of my period, and then do battle with the wrinkles for the other two weeks of the month!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 08:34 AM
I had had zits since I was about 9. hate the blasted things
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-10-2012, 11:44 AM
I had terrible acne when a teenager, then when I was in my twenties and had one child they cleared up and also was on the pill and I think that helped. Roll forwards to late 30's and there they were again. Someone at work told me about Rene Guinot facials, and I tried it and after a few weeks of treatment they worked and never saw them again. I know Rene Guinot are no longer an 'item' but worth maybe googling (I think) 'Rene - but then again could be Guinot Everyone tells me know what lovely skin I have these days, never even realising what a mess it was in. It is apparently something that does come as your body is preparing itself for the menopause as has already been said, and it is not unusual, but like has also been said, no one tells you that
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Ever since I hit my teens I have had spots and although they are better now I still gt them, got several small ones and two giant things currently and I've never found anything that actually helps.
I tried going to the doctors as was getting me down but apparently it wasn't bad enough for them to advise anything except an over the counter spot cream.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 03:42 PM
I started getting cold sores in the last 4 years too...they are horrid
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >