Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

19-08-2008, 07:05 PM

Pedigree Dogs Exposed, BBC1: Discussion

This thread is for the discussion of this program 'after' it has been aired.

For those interested, there was a discussion thread started about the program last week, which you can see by clicking here (obviously bear in mind those posts were made before the show was even aired).

Pedigree Dogs Exposed
BBC1: Tue 19 Aug, 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm 60mins

An in-depth investigation into the health of pedigree dogs. This programme reveals the surprising historical reasons that have contributed to problems in some breeds and explores what might be done to tackle these serious and debilitating health issues.
Statement from the Kennel Club about the forthcoming BBC programme ‘Pedigree Dogs Exposed’

For more than two years now the Kennel Club and others have been co-operating with a TV production company called Passionate Productions who have been making a film on the subject of canine health. We agreed to take part entirely on the basis of that company’s written assurance that the programme’s ultimate message was “intended to be a hopeful one, showing how science and breeders can combine to preserve our purebreds for the future.” That message fits precisely with the view of the Kennel Club, and so we set about giving information and interviews to the production company, and encouraging others to do so as well.

Sadly we soon discovered that the members of the production company seemed to have pre-conceived and extremely biased views on the subject. Alarm bells rang when we found out the biased nature of many of the questions being posed both to ourselves and to others. The vast majority covered negative issues – few if any were about the positive aspects of purebred dogs. We were even more alarmed when other interviewees, more experienced than we are, said that they too were very worried by the line of questioning - to the extent that some of them had eventually refused to go further with some of the interviews.

We now know that the BBC, which has bought the programme, will show it sometime soon. From the beginning the Kennel Club has worked consistently to explain our point of view on canine health both to the production company and latterly to the BBC, describing the vast amount of time, effort and money the majority of breeders put into breeding healthy dogs. We have also ensured that other interested parties have made the same point to the BBC. In so doing we have of course acknowledged that there are problems in some breeds, many of which originally stem back to the Victorian era, but we have stressed that we are today in the forefront of using science to address these issues.

We have also explained the work done to eliminate from breed standards any exaggerations which might cause problems. We have described the work going on to ensure that show judges pay particular attention to issues which could be detrimental to the health or welfare of dogs. We have outlined the many DNA and other health screening programmes which exist, and have given details of the Accredited Breeders Scheme and our latest “Fit for function: fit for life” campaign.

Finally, we have been at pains to remind the BBC of the requirements in its Charter to be rigorously impartial and balanced in its reporting.
Despite all of this we still fear that, when broadcast, this programme may omit much of the positive information supplied, with the result that it will be damaging to the reputation of pedigree dogs, dog breeders and the Kennel Club. We hope that, in the process, it will not end up damaging the very dogs which, throughout, the programme makers have claimed they are so anxious to help.

This is of course looking at the worst case outcome. It may be that our efforts have been understood and borne in mind as the programme has been put together and that we have done enough to balance the content and tone. Whatever the eventual result you can be assured that the Kennel Club will go on working for the benefit of pedigree dogs and that we will continue to communicate the many positive messages which are there to be told.

Ronnie Irving
Chairman
August 8, 2008.
Edit: New statement from the Kennel Club:

The Kennel Club is aware that a BBC documentary, Pedigree Dogs Exposed, is due to air on Tuesday 19 August and will explore the issue of the health of pedigree dogs.

We have not seen the documentary, despite repeated requests and so cannot comment on its content. However, the Kennel Club did agree to participate in its making on the understanding that the programme would be balanced and fair and contribute to the Kennel Club’s primary objective to promote in every way the general improvement of dogs.

The number of healthy pedigree dogs is very high. Comparatively, pedigree dogs are healthier than the human population which suffers from some 4,000 different types of disease, compared to only about 400 in the dog population. Furthermore, around 90% of dogs will not suffer from health problems that have a detrimental impact on their quality of life – and that figure is improving, thanks to advances in science and the continued investment of time, care and money from the Kennel Club and responsible breeders.

The Kennel Club:

• Works directly and indirectly through funding research bodies, to develop health tests for pedigree dogs. The most common of these, hip scoring, has seen breeders invest £20 million in testing since the scheme began and the mean hip score across the top 20 most commonly tested breeds has reduced year on year, meaning the likelihood of these dogs suffering from hip dysplasia has significantly lessened. More and more DNA tests are being developed as the science becomes available.

• Encourages responsible breeding practices and the Accredited Breeder Scheme is a kite-mark of quality that was developed to ensure the breeding of healthy, well adjusted puppies. Accredited Breeders use all of the health tests required for their breed and will breed their dogs to ensure that they have the healthy characteristics that are incorporated within their breed standard. A common method of breeding is called line breeding, which is used to breed an animal for particular healthy characteristics. All responsible breeders have an intimate knowledge of the dogs that appear in pedigrees – and they use that knowledge to breed for positive traits in health and breed standard.

• Collaborated with Imperial College so they could analyse the level of ‘inbreeding’ in pedigrees and identify the genes involved in inherited disease in the future. Unsurprisingly, the inbreeding coefficients were high because of the very nature of pure-breeding populations and the fact that many decades of dog breeding have led to problems. It is clear from the research that mating close relatives (mother/sons, fathers/daughters etc) is now uncommon and not the reason for the high inbreeding coefficients.

• The Kennel Club would never put ‘looks’ above the health of pedigree dogs, and we actively discourage the exaggeration of features in any breed. The standards have been, and will continue to be amended when necessary to ensure the breeding of healthy, well conformed puppies; and dog show judges are educated to judge to those standards ensuring that dogs with obvious problems that could affect their quality of life do not win, and that the rewards go to fit, healthy dogs

Caroline Kisko, spokesperson for the Kennel Club, said: “We welcome any discussion that will help to improve the health and welfare of dogs and we hope that this documentary will focus on what is being done and what can be done in the future to ensure the good health of pedigree dogs ultimately becomes first class.

“We fully acknowledge that there are still some health problems that belong largely to a time when less was understood about animal health and we continue to work to eliminate them.

“As successive generations of pedigree dogs come through – and with the investment of time, care and money that the Kennel Club and breeders are putting into education, improved testing and carefully planned breeding programmes - the number of healthy pedigree dogs, which is currently high, will improve even further.”
Azz
Administrator
Male 

19-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Please do not post in this thread until after 10pm - which is when the program ends.

Please also take extra care to stay on-topic when the discussion commences.

Thanks!
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 09:03 PM
I found most of this programme very upsetting and some of the attitudes of certain breeders horrific
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 09:04 PM
I personally do not think it focused too much on just the kennel club. I think it was a fair portrayal of what's happening to dogs. I found the skull transformations fascinating if a little disturbing...but I hated seeing the dogs having fits/in pain and the dogs that just simple had trouble taking every breath.
I don't have anything against any breeds, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect dogs to be able to function and communicate easily with each other. I don't want to see Bulldogs or Pugs or anything be eradicated, but I do think the older versions looked better and more functional. I think things have to change. I don't know enough about inbreeding to comment on that side of it, but I do know a dog in pain when I see one.
All purely my opinion.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 09:05 PM
I will say more tomorrow when it sinks in, But for now OMG those poor CKCS...........
Dionne
Dogsey Junior
Female 

I thought the show was very distressing but educational. I have to admit that I honestly had no idea about most of the things that they showed. It has left me speechless.
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

Just finished watching this programme and i think its awful that dogs with such serious diseases can win a BIS or BOB i think it should be based on health aswell as looks and breed standard the KC need better rules, obviously im not a breeder and i dont show but those poor dogs on the programme it shouldnt happen
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 09:06 PM
First thoughts - I am shocked and disgusted. If I were to look at a pedigree dog now I would have no idea how to go about finding a HEALTHY one.

I am sickened by the attitude of the KC Chairperson and the breeders that appeared on the programme. They are arrogant, naive, ineffectual and utterly stupid in the extreme.

I had no idea that so much in-breeding was going on in pedigree dogs.

I agree with EVERYTHING the RSPCA vet Mark Evans said, including. My God, how could anyone knowingly breed such deformities into a creature and REFUSE to recognise that the original dogs looked, and were, far more healthy? Why would someone do that?

Non-recognised breed clubs/societies - if you want to breed decent, healthy dogs - take heed of this programme, pull your socks up, do NOT in breed, do the health tests and do not breed from dogs with genetic defects and learn from this awful mess.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 09:06 PM
I found it horrific that woman bred 26 litters from a Cavalier she knew was ill
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 09:07 PM
well after watching i'm absolutly gobsmacked

its just said to me how unscrupulous some breeders are and how they dont care what they do to their dogs.
its all about looks and money.

the government should now step in and stop these people being so cruel and heartless.
they dont care about the dogs one bit.

sorry but i'm fuming
Page 1 of 65 1 2 3 4 11 51 > Last »