Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2008, 07:40 PM

Becoming a trainer

Ok a few years ago I did Vet Nursing and completed my course but was completely put off my career choice during my time studying, so did a complete 360 and work in an office and forgot all about doing anything with animals!! But since I started training Shadow my passion has surfaced BIG time! Now the only training I've done in the past is with sheep dogs/farm working dogs, and basic training. I'm currently looking to do a training course with ATDB and wondered if I'm going the right way? Any advice/thoughts would be great
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Try the CIDBT instead, as the training seems to be more kosher and is recognised by KC and guild of dog trainers etc.

And, if you do enough courses, you actually get a degree out of it!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Long way before I would think about being a trainer but lots of posts here have made me think about some training

Thing is there is so many different methods and theories
What courses are focused on positive methods and have nothing to do with pack theory?? if that is possible? cos I am getting more oppinionated in my old age and ulike when I went to uni and just learnt everything I was told without questioning it now I ask - lots - and I dont think a tutor would be able to put up with me disagreeing with his methods (not that I think I know it all or even 1/2 of it but I would hate to be stuck with courses that go totaly against my training beliefs)
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2008, 10:12 PM
I felt that the ATDB followed positive methods which is what I want to practice.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2008, 08:16 AM
Cool, thanks. I havent even seriously started looking into it so I had no idea what was what
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2008, 07:13 AM
I completed an 'animal trainer' course by correspondence here in Australia... That was probably 5-6 years ago.. Since then I have read as much as I can on animal training and behaviour... I only ever train using positive methods, love clicker training...

I would make sure the course you select is based on positive reinforcement.. Make enquiries.

Cheers
Lene
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Hi Leanne
can I suggest you shadow a trainer at a club as well? Most of training is about teaching the owners, not the dogs - and that`s probably the trickiest bit!
phil2009
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-02-2009, 08:10 PM
id love to become a dog trainer as iv tort 3 dogs the basic but id love to do more but dont no weather i could make a liveing out of it in count durham. leanne good luck with it all and hope it works out for u