Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2008, 03:47 PM

"Performance" or "standard"?

I'm a little stumped as to what kind of food Flynn should have.

The last bag of food has been AG Performance but i'm not sure if I should be giving him this type of food or just the standard type.

The reason I chose performance is because of his extremely high energy levels and he's quite an anxious dog. Because of these 2 factors, he's a little on the thin side and it seems nothing will bulk him out a bit. He's just turned a year old and the vet has said he's at a fine weight (just a tad over 25kg) but he looks malnourished (even though he has excellent muscle definition and gets the top level according to the feeding guide).

I'm confused about the protein levels in this particular AG food. By feeding him a high protein diet, am I actually encouraging slight hyperactivity or am I simple supplying him with the energy his body is evidently using up?
Also, will this type of food help him gain a little weight or should I just feed more of the standard type food?

Any help would be appreciated from you omnicient Dogsey folk!!
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2008, 07:10 PM
hiya, i have noticed no differene if i feed a lower or higher protein diet, some dogs are just more active than others.
maybe you could try arden grange premium, this is what my dogs have. it has a higher calorie density than the performance, so tends to keep the weight on them easier and you dont need to feed as much. this is what i was reccomended to keep the weight on my gsd when i emailed arden grange
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Which breed is Flynn? If he is the Border Collie then I would stick to the performance until he is about 7. Nearly all BC are very active it is part of their make up and think they would be the same even if you starved them.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Flynn is the GWPx, it's my BC who isnt active!

Might look into the AG premium then, thanks Kirsty.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 01:41 PM
untill recently Jack was on the performance as keeping weight on has been a nightmare, but we weighed him at the vets on Friday and he'd put on 2 1/2 kgs and is up to 25.70kgs, at one stage he was only 19kgs, we think that 23kgs is the ideal weight for him, so it's on to the adult stuff for him.

The thing with performance food or working food that I can gather is basically it's higher if fat, which is what dogs need for higher energy, so I think it will depend on your dog, if going on the adult stuff makes him look like a skeleton then stick with him on the performance, but is it just the performance stuff that's giving him the energy, I think only trial and error will give you the answer
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Flynn is the GWPx, it's my BC who isnt active!

Might look into the AG premium then, thanks Kirsty.
Well you will be able to keep a check on his weight by looking at him so I would keep him on premium unless you think he is carrying too much fat.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 01:58 PM
He's only ever had the one bag of Performance and his energy was limitless before that, thats why I chose the Performance because I thought he might need it!

I've just ordered another big bag anyway so will see how he goes on that before I take a look at the Premium stuff.

He's obviously not suffering from being on the slim side but he's had quite a few comments made about his pelvis and ribs sticking out and I think people assume I starve him! Then i've got "who ate all the pies" Jed who gets comments because he's overweight, lol!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 03:11 PM
LOL you can't win, some dogs are slim by nature and as I am always trying to tell people some of us are meant to be fat.