View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2008, 10:57 PM
There was a few semi long coated GSD's being shown at the open shows up in scotland a few years ago and it was so obvious that they had been trimmed but they were still being placed in classes with nice GSD's with correct coats, I don't know how the judges missed it.

In Siberians, the long coat texture is much softer and silkier than the correct coat, when judging I treat this as a serious fault, a long coated Sibe wouldn't be able to function properly in it's natural environment as the coat is not waterproof, the dog would get wet, cold and die. Snow also gathers and sticks to this type of coat.

Shona, I have seen a few long coated Rottie's over the years, looked like woolie bears, very cute
Foo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
There is no reason why you can't show a long coat, the standard says "no hard and fast rule for length of hair; mole-type coats undesirable
Please could you explain a mole-type coat? thanks
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Think they mean very short close fitting coat that in the GSD is incorrect, as the GSD should have a soft undercoat covered by longer guard hairs that make the dog totally waterproof, how long is not stated.

It is a case of their original purpose I think, the coat should be totally weatherproof and render the dog invisible at night and camouflaged during the day. If you think along those lines you will understand why cream dogs and those with a lot of 'feathers' are considered not to type and it is the 'type' question that will or should make judges worry about placing them.

Most judges will know if a dog is trimmed or not and will in most cases ignore the fact as it does not detract from the basic construction and movement, it is only when one considers type that the judge must decide if the fact that they do not know how the dog would appear un-clipped out weighs the conformation and movement of the dogs under them.

Most judges in most breeds judge the type, does the dog look like the breed it purports to be, function, could the dog fulfil the job it is supposed to do. Conformation and construction, is the dog sound and well made, without any constructional faults or faults that could cause problems with the individuals health or well-being. And, often the most important, can the dog move correctly, and would that movement allow the dog to perform the sort of work he is or was expected to do.

Now having said that the perfect dog was never bred and there are always faults and areas that do not fulfil the standard set down for the breed. Also some breeds have developed into working type and show type. In some cases this is a good thing as anyone who has owned a BC bred on a working farm will understand, and most people would find it difficult to live with a working terrier. Others breeds have become glamour models of the original breed, I don’t like it but it is not my business, if the dogs are fit and well it is up to their owners and the breed elders if they wish to encourage the glamour side of a breed rather than the functional.

Sorry very long.
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2008, 09:15 AM
My 2 are both longcoats...one is waterproof the other isn't.
But the breed standard classes longcoats as those that have long hair between toes, feathers behind ears & legs.
I've known of GSD's that have had their toes hair trimmed before a show & heard of one that had it's ears tidied up too.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 09:44 AM
The standard says "Hair on head, ears, front of legs, paws and toes short: on back, longer and thicker" very open to interpretation. Can't say how dogs are prepared these days but back in the 1960s ears and feet were 'tided' – and it is better for the dog if ear and foot hair is removed or thinned.

Whether a coat is weatherproof depends, I think, on the number of guard hair per inch and how flat they lie. Would think a GSD with a water absorbent coat must be hard work, does the undercoat felt?
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Well I must confess to once putting a long coated bitch up above short coated ones at an open show but she had correct coat apart from its being slightly long & having some tufts around the ears. She had excellent conformation & movement & in my opinion warented the 3rd I gaxe her more than the dog with missing teeth Or the dog who was so nervous I could not get near her.One can only judge on the day & while I would have withheld if it had been a qualifying class I felt it was a fault to be taken into consideration along with all other faults.
In my opinion trimming is wrong but I can see why some people do it.
Foo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Think they mean very short close fitting coat that in the GSD is incorrect, as the GSD should have a soft undercoat covered by longer guard hairs that make the dog totally waterproof, how long is not stated.

It is a case of their original purpose I think, the coat should be totally weatherproof and render the dog invisible at night and camouflaged during the day. If you think along those lines you will understand why cream dogs and those with a lot of 'feathers' are considered not to type and it is the 'type' question that will or should make judges worry about placing them.

Most judges will know if a dog is trimmed or not and will in most cases ignore the fact as it does not detract from the basic construction and movement, it is only when one considers type that the judge must decide if the fact that they do not know how the dog would appear un-clipped out weighs the conformation and movement of the dogs under them.

Most judges in most breeds judge the type, does the dog look like the breed it purports to be, function, could the dog fulfil the job it is supposed to do. Conformation and construction, is the dog sound and well made, without any constructional faults or faults that could cause problems with the individuals health or well-being. And, often the most important, can the dog move correctly, and would that movement allow the dog to perform the sort of work he is or was expected to do.

Now having said that the perfect dog was never bred and there are always faults and areas that do not fulfil the standard set down for the breed. Also some breeds have developed into working type and show type. In some cases this is a good thing as anyone who has owned a BC bred on a working farm will understand, and most people would find it difficult to live with a working terrier. Others breeds have become glamour models of the original breed, I don’t like it but it is not my business, if the dogs are fit and well it is up to their owners and the breed elders if they wish to encourage the glamour side of a breed rather than the functional.

Sorry very long.
Thank you.. Im not sure if Max's coat is wrong or not now lol Hes not show bred and is small for a male but my son likes him.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3