View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2004, 09:28 PM
if the hips are that bad and its found the breeder didnt score the dams and use a scored sire then i think you have a case with the breeder/ check it out
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2004, 07:24 AM
Oh dear. I always get a feeling like a kick in the stomach when I read about HD especially in labs since I have one myself AND live in an appartment without an elevator.

So sorry to hear this. I really have got to get that insurance made!

Jeanette
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2004, 10:10 AM
Just wondered how your friend's dog got on?
Sponge
Dogsey Veteran

10-06-2004, 12:02 PM
His hip is really bad on one side he went in yesterday to have his op done and the bet did more xrays and stuff then refused to do the op and told them that he would need a Tri osteo somthing...cannot remember the correct ter,....he is now going in on Friday to have the opposite hip done....
and in a couple of monthe he will have the tri thingy done.......

The vet def does not think that insurance will cover because of what the old vet has written in doggies records....

bill expected to be for both hips................£3000 :smt088 and that is jut the ops.....god nows what else he will need meds etc

I wonder if his quality of life after all this is going to worth it? i have no experiance of this....
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2004, 10:40 AM
Well based on my experience of this vet I think he must think that it's worth trying. My Beardie/Border x was referred to him with disc problems after he had xrayed and examined him he told me that he wouldn't recommend operating as it would be along recovery and months down the line he might still have to be pts also he said that because braid was so active the enforced rest might have changed his nature.

I was very impressed with his honesty. Keep us posted on how the lab does.

By the way where in Fife are you I'm in Leslie
Sammy
Dogsey Junior

11-06-2004, 03:00 PM
Bear in mind that every dog is different, but here is my experience with HD...

My AB was diagnoised with severe HD in both hips at 6 mths old. I was advised that the dog could have a total hip replacement, but that they were not sure just how long it would be 'good' for. We opted against it.

He was put on Deramaxx for the pain and we left it at that. The meds made him lose weight horribly, soooo I took him off them. He is now 18 mths old, and you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with him. He has grown a lot, his exercise is very limited, but he has no problems.

I plan on having his hips x-rayed again next month, and every 6 mths thereafter to see how things are 'going'

I am a strong believer in NOT having surgery done until the dog is over 18mths old. Yep, bad hips stay bad hips, but a lot can change in there as the dog grows, and develps.

If it was me, and my dog, I would wait. Wait and see, limit the dogs exercise, keep the dog nice and slim and get it x-rayed again in 6 mths time.
Sponge
Dogsey Veteran

15-06-2004, 09:27 AM
Hi Folks......update

Well he has had one hip done....poor wee soul, he is feeling sorry for himseld.......however the other hip is so badly gone he is to have a hip replacement.........

No insurance....total cost for both hips operations only £4000.!!!!!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2004, 09:57 AM
Poor wee soul hope he feels better soon
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2