Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2007, 11:04 AM

Dad, gone but not forgotten

Today is very difficult for me, it's the 8th anniversary of my Dads passing

Dad wasn't around when I grew up, and the first time I met him was in August '92, we immediatly clicked and even though it may sound like a bit of a cliche, but it had always felt like a part of my life was incomplete, that there was something missing, after meeting Dad it suddenly felt complete. Shortly after meeting him, he moved in with me and my boys

Dad was in the WWII, and very proud of what he did, he was in the Royal Engineers, and on D Day, he was already on the other side dismanteling some of the big guns aimed at our boys, he and the others he was with, came across a lot of resistance and didn't get to all the guns, but he always felt that what he did, help in a small way.

In the early 50s he helped train the very first squardron of Gurkha Engineers, and he was very proud of this, and all his stories were around the Gurkha's, unfortunatly he lost touch with them, untill 1996 when he heard that the Squardron he helped to train was being disbanded, so he wrote to the OC, expressing his sadness at this, and to his amazement a short while later there was a knock at the door and there were two Gurkha Majors (one British, one Gurkha) to see him, they presented him with a bush hat and Kukri, the famous knife they use, and a 'don't argue, your coming' offer to attend the disbandment parade, along with a week there, plus flight etc, this was in Hong Kong, it left him speachless, when he came back, he said if nothing else happened in his life he could die a happy man.

On November 11th 1999, he was diagnosed with Lung cancer, he took this as an omen, and on 6th December 1999, he passed away, he was at home with me, it wasn't pleasant for me, as there was alot of blood, but I like to think he knew nothing about it.

God bless dad, I miss you more today than ever, with what I'm going through at the moment I just wish you were here to put your arms around me and tell me everything will be ok, I miss you, I love you, and I hope you have found peace where ever you are.

Your loving daughter

Christine xxxx

Dad in uniform

The first day I met my Dad

Dads dog Ben, he always said that if he went first, Ben wouldn't be long after him, and exactly a week later he passed away.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Your dad was a very brave and special man Christine , That was a lovely albeit sad story , big hugs to you hun, xxdk
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Christine that was a lovely though very sad story about your dear dad! Sending you a big hug, I know just how you must be feeling today!
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Christine awwww that was so sad but a lovely story about your dad and what a really handsome man he was you look like your dad sending you really big hugs cos i know how your feeling today sending you lots of love xxx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2007, 01:46 PM
A very sad story, Christine.
Big hugs to you today honey x0x