Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 09:19 PM
The obstacle race sounds like brilliant fun :smt041

I`ll add all the recent suggestions to the main list shortly

That tip for cover at a rainy show is pretty nifty, don`t forget guys, we are looking for all sorts of hints / suggestions to make a day successful so please do add your wet or hot weather tips especially for those who don`t have crates or `professional` Show type kit
Clipper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2007, 09:47 PM
I always have some waterproof ground sheets with me, I can use these for either going over the dogs crates if it is raining or under then if it is dry but the ground in damp. Something else I have is those reflective space blankets, they are great for keeping the crates cool if you are fortunate to have hot weather.
Towels soaked in cold water and packed into leak proof bags, also help to keep my lads cool while they are getting groomed for the ring and if they have to wait for a class to end. I drape them over the dogs shoulders and clip them round their chest. then it's just a case of taking them off before we go into the ring and a quick brush down. If you prefer, you can put some cold water into a spray bottle and mist the dogs head and chest area.
For me, I usually have a change of clothes in the car, just in case. Makes the drive home more comfortable than sitting in wet duds.
Clipper & the furry gang.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2007, 12:08 AM
'Best Condition' was another one I remember.

On the height range, all the shows I've been to with these classes, judge the height from the 'withers' /shoulder, (static point) which takes a lot of height off of large dogs.

I also saw a really funny class last year around Halloween time, when it was "Fastest Apple Bobber"

It really was hilarious. Both dog and handler had to sit next to the bucket and at the sound of the buzzer/start pistol (cant remember what it was) the handler or dog had to plunge into the bucket for the Apple. Some dogs just were not interested and most handlers ended up doing it instead.

They then had to stand up, hand in the air, apple in ....gob ....

Very funny :smt043
kerjord
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-06-2007, 06:30 AM
Thanks for your tips on hot weather, Clipper. Really helpful and taken on board. Unfortuantely it's the 4 chairs and groundsheet going in the car today. And I expect a mud bath the other end....

On hot days, I take a large container of water and a washing up bowl and take child and dog back to the car. They have great fun splashing in the bowl. (I do this before waggy tail on really hot days and the wet wagging tail spraying water gets a lot of laughs and "may" cool a few dogs down.) At the end of the day dog and boy have a fun water fight/splash with the remaining water.

I wish show judges and stewards would split over large classes on hot days. We went to a show recently where there were over 40 dogs in popular classes. My little boy and his dog were in the ring for over an hour before I decided to pull them out. Other people left, including older and younger handlers and dogs. Shows that do split enable us to sit in the shade rather than in a hot ring.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2007, 05:26 PM
How about slimmer dog class, people bring a before photo with them and the judge can judge them based on how much weight they've lost etc?
Becky
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
How about slimmer dog class, people bring a before photo with them and the judge can judge them based on how much weight they've lost etc?
Becky
Oooh now theres a thought for the Virtual Show too !
I`m sure lots of dogs have needed to lose a little weight and could be a real inspiration to people who`s dogs are a tad portly so they can see it can be done
A before and after slimmers class, consider it in the Show
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2007, 07:20 PM
Well you'd better get that one going now so people can start their dogs diets lol!
Becky
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2007, 02:19 PM
We always do a fancy dress. with either dog or owner, thses always seem to go down well with the kids, If I can find them I'll pst some pictures of the last one we did to give you some ideas
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Apologies if they've been said already, but..........

Fastest Bonio Eater - we've been to a few shows that had this class and is a brilliant 'egging on' class where everyone just shouts from the ringside to all the dogs, great fun

Best Trick - Brilliant class for kids to show off what they do with their dogs

Under 25 inches
Over 25 Inches
Best smoothcoat
Best roughcoat

The best class I ever saw was 'Best mannered'. A new one to me, but the Judge approached each dog, looked at his face for a moment, walked around it, spoke to it, patted it, felt it over etc, gave it a biscuit (all whilst the lead had to be slack) and walked it herself 'up and down' on it's lead (no haltis allowed).

I also saw a small show where the Judge put on her own class of 'Most Obedient' which included a sit/stay, a down/stay and walk away/recall and 'leave' (biscuit on the ground) etc. Not many entries though, which was a shame. Not a very good indication of the level of obedient dogs at that show methinks Good idea tho

dito, I had thought niffyest trick, sorry no more ideas of yet, ps I dont think Im a member of this group, Am I still allowed to post or should I join the members thingy,
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
dito, I had thought niffyest trick, sorry no more ideas of yet, ps I dont think Im a member of this group, Am I still allowed to post or should I join the members thingy,
Ive just realised I dont think I'm a member either and I'm clueless how to join...help Patch xx
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >