Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 03:13 PM

Tips And Ideas For Companion Dog Shows

After reading another post on another thread, thought it would be a good idea to have a thread for anyone ideas or inputs for Companion/Fun Dog shows.
This isn't for debate on aspects of a KC Dog show.
More a think tank for those thinking of organising or have organised a show. Any good ideas and input would be appreciated.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Thank you for starting this thread

Classes - thats always something worth listing, those we have come across and would love to see as often as possible.

Eg in Novelty :

Waggiest Tail
Prettiest Bitch
Handsomest Dog
Best Veteran
Pairs
Irish Brace [ opposite of pairs for dogs least alike each other ]
Happy families [ multiple dogs living together ]
Best rescue
Dog the Judge Would Like To Take Home
Fancy Dress
Dog Most Like Owner

Just a few there, please add more and any new ones you can dream up which could get the punters parting with their cash
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Childs best friend - handled by child
Best head/expression
Cutest pup
Consolation Class - for dogs who have not won a class that day
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

28-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Best six Legs

sorry that's all I can think of for now.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 04:59 PM
How about a class for diasbled dogs? Not sure if there'd be enough or not?
Best Crossbreed/Mongrel?
Becky
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 05:03 PM
A class I used to put on was -

Best moving dog or bitch

It was very popular as the crossbreed/mongrel owners were competing on 'show' type criteria but on equal terms with the pedigrees. I often found the mongrels to be better movers than showdogs too.

You do need to have a judge that knows what they're doing though.
kerjord
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2007, 05:54 PM
A few ideas...

Kids - old and young - love races at shows how about sausage and spoon/dog treat on spoon. LRRSE do these at their shows and they really get everyone off to a good laff. Kids love it ..so do their dogs.

We had a great waggy tail last week where the judge got everyone to run up and down to see who walked and ran with a wag as well as who wagged the most collectively. I was laughing so much. It was such a change to everyone standing around encouraging the dog to wag and so much more watchable.

I wish more shows did child's best friend in novelty and not just as part of Scruffs. We've never been to a show where we could enter this.

Also any thoughts on what Companion dog club classes should be? Simply a companion club class or as part of waggy tail or antoher class. One show had waggiest tail as the CDC and only 4 of us could enter so the charity and all the eager waggy tails lost out.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 06:47 PM
As there were 3 rings at Saturday's Companion Dog Show in Greenock, it wasn't clear which class was on in which ring.

I heard several people wondering aloud about which classes were on. I also got a lot of questions about which classes were on at different points throughout the day. The answers I didn't always know.

When chatting to a friend, she decided that it would beneficial to have a blackboard at the entrance to each ring, with the classes being ticked off as they were in, people could come and look to check which classes were on, and which ones were still to come. I think this is a very good idea.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 06:47 PM
We have one in the village in August and they have a class for the best local dog, within a 5 mile radius lol!
Becky
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post

When chatting to a friend, she decided that it would beneficial to have a blackboard at the entrance to each ring, with the classes being ticked off as they were in, people could come and look to check which classes were on, and which ones were still to come. I think this is a very good idea.
The above was all you needed to say. Please desist from knocking any specific show. I will ask mods for any further direct references / posts in a `knocking` manner about any specific shows to be removed so there is no point anyone wasting their time posting about them :smt018

The idea of a board for rings is a good one for all organisers to consider.

Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Quite often I find the Best Crossbreed classes at Companion shows to be far more interesting than the pedigree classes!
Yes, I think we all get your pov on that

Come on peeps, get your thinking caps on, what other classes can you think up in addition to those which are already being put forward
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »