View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
opheez
New Member!
Female 

02-08-2016, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll be looking at it!
opheez
New Member!
Female 

02-08-2016, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
None! These wolfie dogs are really not suitable for an inexperienced potential dog owner - as gorgeous as they are, they demand a complete change in lifestyle - in particular, they are absolutely useless as guard dogs!

I have owned low % wolf crosses for 20 years now and would never want to have any other type of dog, but then I turn a blind eye to the permanently filthy house, the fact that I have no social life at all unless the dog comes too and that I cannot go out to work - or at least couldn't if I didn't have a house husband!
Suppose I know all of the consequences of having these dogs, but still am a beginner dog owner. Does it make that much of a difference? Like, I know all of the consequences, so what benefit does being an experienced owner give me?
opheez
New Member!
Female 

02-08-2016, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Well I would have said Gsd which isn't on your list and still isn't an easy dog.
Yes inexperienced owners can and do sometimes succeed with difficult dogs but it's quite rare and requires a special owner. Many dogs of all breeds are let down by inexperienced owners and end up in rescue if they're lucky. We all love the look of a specific type of dog but realistically have to accept that sometimes it's just not possible to have what we want and there is so much more to dogs than looks.
Ahh, alright! Thanks for the reply. Are GSDs easier for beginners than the others that I listed?
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-08-2016, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by opheez View Post
Ahh, alright! Thanks for the reply. Are GSDs easier for beginners than the others that I listed?
Yes by miles and even GSD's are not easy. You want to walk a dog off leash and yet nearly all the ones you favour can't be walked off lead. The Greenland that Azz suggested might look the way you want but is in no way suitable.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-08-2016, 10:52 AM
Suppose I know all of the consequences of having these dogs, but still am a beginner dog owner. Does it make that much of a difference? Like, I know all of the consequences, so what benefit does being an experienced owner give me?
Experience gives you the forehand knowledge to read your dog and know how best to handle situations that may arise and how best to train to get the best results in training.

Some people will call or list a harder to train dog as not as intelligent, when in truth nothing could be further from the truth. (There to smart and getting bored with the training).

Knowing a breed helps in a lot of ways.
Also when you get a dog it is much better to get a breed that fits your life style.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2016, 11:17 AM
It makes all the difference because you just cannot imagine how life-changing these wolfie-type dogs can be - and I would include GSDs in that description. Let me paint you a picture of life with Hal:-

Hal came home with us at 8 weeks. We wanted him to sleep in our kitchen. For 3 weeks we had to endure him howling all night long, crapping and peeing all over the kitchen with liquid diarrhoea. He virtually ripped his way through the kitchen door with his little claws. We tried everything to help him settle - nothing worked.

So I managed to persuade hubby to allow Hal to come into our bedroom. Result was total peace, no peeing, no crapping, a happy little wolf sleeping on the floor beside our bed. That was the first punch we had to roll with.

We very quickly learned he had to come everywhere with us - even into the loo! There is no way in a million years that we could both have gone out to work, even for 2 hours a day! That little man had to be with us 24 x 7. Which meant that the only entertainment we could allow ourselves was to go to a dog friendly pub. No foreign holidays, no going out to dinner, or dinner-parties, no parties, no clubs, no cinema, no theatre, no visiting friends unless they would allow the dog in their house - no leaving him in the car, he would destroy the interior and howl the place down.

Lovely garden soon rendered to a landscape similar to The Somme after the worst of the fighting in WW1! Deep holes appeared everywhere - in the lawns, in the flower beds - you took your life in your hands if you walked across the grass without looking at your feet!

He shed for the Olympics!! Our house resembled an American cowboy movie with tumbleweed blowing down the middle of the road!

Hal would eat any of my daughter's socks that he could get hold of - they would emerge the other end after about 3 week! He would lick the gussets of my and my daughter's knickers when they were on the floor in front of the washing machine. He would goose any female liberally with his cold wet nose whenever he met you - if you bent down in front of him to pick something up his nose would be straight up your bottom! He would sniff bicycle saddles, the cushions in pubs where people had sat, chairs, etc. etc. He was SO embarrassing!!

There is more - far, far more - but if you think that you really could cope with all this then go for it - but there are very, very few of us who are mad enough to go through the above!!

You could have 2 or more, living outside in kennels and runs, or in a back yard, but they need a huge amount of exercise so if you go out to work it would be very difficult to keep up with them.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2