Our sister sites
Our sister sites
opheez
New Member!
Female 

01-08-2016, 02:08 AM

Best Wolf-Like Dogs for Beginners?

Hello!

I recently started getting obsessed with dogs again and was looking at which breed I would like to get in the future. I really want a breed that looks like wolves. However, many of these breeds like the husky are stubborn and not for inexperienced owners. However, I still intend on getting a wolf-looking dog breed in the future.

I was wondering which dog breed (or type, doesn't matter if it is unofficial) that looks like wolves is best for inexperienced owners. (I KNOW, they are not, but out of all of them, which is the best for first time owners?)

I would like dogs that are
  • Intelligent
  • Trainable
  • Not too stubborn
  • Can be trained off-leash
  • Optional: Alert / Makes a somewhat decent watchdog
  • Optional: Wary / reserved with strangers

So far, some dogs I have in mind are
  1. Tamaskan
  2. Czech Wolfdog
  3. Anglo Wolfdog
  4. Northern Inuit
  5. Siberian Husky
  6. Saarloos
  7. Utonagan
(I have already looked at the Malamute, which is ehh)

Note: I have looked on a bunch of websites already (including comparison websites), so information from personal experience would be the best
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2016, 04:46 AM
I have experience about siberian husky they are good and intelligent dog.
For me this is a perfect for my taste and I really enjoyed it. He's a lovely dog.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2016, 07:36 AM
None! These wolfie dogs are really not suitable for an inexperienced potential dog owner - as gorgeous as they are, they demand a complete change in lifestyle - in particular, they are absolutely useless as guard dogs!

I have owned low % wolf crosses for 20 years now and would never want to have any other type of dog, but then I turn a blind eye to the permanently filthy house, the fact that I have no social life at all unless the dog comes too and that I cannot go out to work - or at least couldn't if I didn't have a house husband!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-08-2016, 07:44 AM
Well I would have said Gsd which isn't on your list and still isn't an easy dog.
Yes inexperienced owners can and do sometimes succeed with difficult dogs but it's quite rare and requires a special owner. Many dogs of all breeds are let down by inexperienced owners and end up in rescue if they're lucky. We all love the look of a specific type of dog but realistically have to accept that sometimes it's just not possible to have what we want and there is so much more to dogs than looks.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-08-2016, 07:45 AM
I'm no expert but most of the dogs on that list can't be let off lead as their recall is dire.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2016, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Well I would have said Gsd which isn't on your list and still isn't an easy dog.
Yes inexperienced owners can and do sometimes succeed with difficult dogs but it's quite rare and requires a special owner. Many dogs of all breeds are let down by inexperienced owners and end up in rescue if they're lucky. We all love the look of a specific type of dog but realistically have to accept that sometimes it's just not possible to have what we want and there is so much more to dogs than looks.
Wise words - I have had dogs all my life, but when we purchased Hal nearly 20 years ago now, it was a total culture shock! I worked from home then so no problem with the separation anxiety, but it is hard to convince peeps just how demanding these types of dogs are. They are supremely intelligent and need a lot of mental and physical stimulation, but having said that the most important thing is that they are always with their human pack.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-08-2016, 09:07 AM
As a breeder of Utonagan dogs, you won't find them in America, you will find Tamaskan dogs though.
My dogs are all trained to KC Good Citizen Gold standard, my youngest is 14 months old and already in the Silver class. You have to put the time and work in, they have an extremely strong prey drive and you'll never completely overcome that, some have it more than others. They are super intelligent, can problem solve, can be very destructive indeed. I don't have the problem of separation anxiety as I have a 3 generation family of 5, although one on its own will more than likely not like to be left for extended periods, having said that I know of quite a lot that are fine with it, always better for them to have company if at all possible. They are very loyal and bond closely with their family. I have to groom every day to keep their coats manageable. Wouldn't be without them, but not for everyone. You need the patience of a saint, fortitude of 10 men and be good at DIY or know a good handyman
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2016, 09:38 AM
Well said darling!! I hoped you would comment ��
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-08-2016, 12:35 PM
What about the Greenland Dog?

http://www.breedia.com/search?utf8=✓...=greenland+dog
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2016, 06:08 PM
Wow Azz! That's an amazing looking dog, very wolfy! My guess is though you would almost undoubtedly be in real trouble if you went out to walk and left one on his or her own home alone.

The description fits Hal and Hal's son to a T!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >