View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
River_Dog
New Member!
Male 

03-07-2016, 05:33 PM

Kennel or crate? What to do when away from home.

I adopted a 3-4yr old Basset Hound who I'm sure was an inside dog. My wife and I are trying to determine the best place for him to be while we are at work. He would be alone for 8-9hrs a day depending on our work schedule.

I have a 10x10 outdoor kennel in the shade with a kiddy pool and dog house. I live in Texas and it does get hot down here. Other option is a large dog crate that would allow him to stay indoors. I'm afraid he would try to hold off going to the bathroom or have am accident and have to lay in it. I also think it's cruel being locked in a crate all day.

Perks is he would be in the A/C and not have to worry about him digging it getting stolen. Being outside he would be exposed to the heat, could dig out, get stolen. Also he would have room to move around, use the bathroom,and play in the pool.

Any suggestions? I was told I shouldn't have a dog if I have to leave him alone for 40hrs a week by someone on another forum. Unfortunately I do have a family to support that requires me to work for a living.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-07-2016, 07:04 PM
Have to agree, leaving a dog alone for that length of time is not fair on the dog.Is the adoption society you got him from aware of it? At least employ a dog walker who can take him out at least twice a day so he has some form of human company.
Personally i would hand him back and wait until I had the time to spend with the animal , it is the kindest thing.
River_Dog
New Member!
Male 

03-07-2016, 07:51 PM
By adoption agency do you mean the pound where he was scheduled to be put to sleep the day I got him? I wish I didn't have to work but unfortunately I have a family to support. I've always had dogs and all were outside animals. I live out in the country and there isn't cable tv available much less a dog walking service. He gets walks when I get home.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2016, 09:14 PM
Unfortunately, dog owners do have to pay the bills and whilst leaving a dog 8 hours alone is not ideal, it often happens - sometimes unexpectedly when a situation changes.

Some dogs cope with it, others don't. For the ones that don't, it is kinder to find a home where there is someone home, for the ones that do, I've never found that it harms them.

What's he like if you leave him free run of your home/room in your home? Many dogs sleep all day anyway when their owners are away, and if he's one of those, it could be a solution for you.

I wouldn't leave a dog penned up in a cage for the amount of hours you are away. If you decide on the garden option, you really will have to make sure that it is as near to 100% secure as you can. You'll also have to assess the temperature out there to make sure it is suitable for your dog
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-07-2016, 09:50 PM
All my girls are outside dogs. I have as secure fencing as I possibly can. In the summer they have a sunshade for hot days, plenty of water and I leave citronella candles burning in places they can't access to keep the flies down. Having said that they are a family. I have no idea how one dog would do on their own, as they are by their nature an animal that needs company and they are all quite happy to sleep a lot of the day away, apart from walks, all with a bone each at lunchtime. I know this sounds ridiculous in the circumstances, but could you get him some company, maybe an older steady dog.
I think the outside option is far better than having him crated for long periods of time, often this can lead to self harming through boredom.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-07-2016, 10:03 PM
I've had dogs and worked full time, mine were inside the house and didn't toilet inside in my absence. It may not be ideal to work and own a dog but it's quality time that matters not quantity. I'd prefer not to crate them for 8+ hours during the day and then crate him again at night tbh Could you confine him to one room where there is nothing for him to trash in your absence until you know how he copes and then maybe let him have more space. In my experience dogs just while way the hours sleeping unless they suffer from anxiety.
River_Dog
New Member!
Male 

04-07-2016, 12:05 AM
No way will I leave him in a crate all day. I do have a room I could put him in. If I got some pee pads do you think he would use them or hold it all day? He is used to going outside to potty. At night he sleeps in the room with us on his pillow.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-07-2016, 07:01 AM
If you soak up some wee with a pee pad and leave it there he may well get the idea to use it but generally dogs will hold it and go outside as soon as they can, especially as he's already an adult. They go all night without a pee break so it's not that unusual. If you put his things in the room and give him his favourite toys whatever they are then he should soon acclimatise to the new routine. Thinking about pee pads, they do get destroyed quite easily so maybe some artificial grass in a big plastic tray ( something like a tuffspot) might be preferable, it can be hosed off and washed clean. Although I'd put the pee pads under the grass cos you don't want to get covered in wee when cleaning up.
GC Reagan
New Member!
Male 

05-07-2016, 11:32 AM
Outside option for me too. Your dog is also a part of your family. Improve kennel conditions for safety or secure fencing like @tawneywolf mentioned.
PetsAreFamily
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-07-2016, 04:01 PM
Is there anyway you can put up a fence to secure the backyard? When we moved into our new home we used 5' tall metal garden fencing using the metal stakes they sell to secure it. It was very inexpensive (less than $100). We got a doggie door at Lowes that fit into the sliding door with spring action, very easy to install (it's vertical and has a window on the upper part of the doggie door), and this way our dog had access to inside and outside (securely). She loves the freedom and stays in the house most of the time, although she does love to sun bathe (I'm in Florida) a few times a day!

We used that fence for two years with no problem, and she is an active dog. We just put up a traditional wood fence last month.

Edit: I've attached a pic of the doggy door that works well for sliding doors.

Also, I feel compelled to say that adopting a dog, making it a member of your family and providing a loving home is to be commended to every one that does! Most of us have to work for a living. Leaving our pets in the comfort of home, with toys, food, water and no worries is NOT a bad thing! Dogs do tend to nap a lot, I suspect in the wild they do the same. When they have all your love, attention, walking and what ever they need when you are there, it is not a crime to leave them alone for the day.

I didn't see my parents 24/7 and I survived.
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	dog-door.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	5113  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >