Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2015, 12:21 AM

Another Question for the Rat Lovers

About two months ago we noticed there was a hole growing in the plastic tray of the rat cage. It was a multi level ordered from the Drs Foster and Smith catalog. We had it maybe two years. But now the hole was big enough I needed a replacement ASAP.

PetSmart has a rat set up kit. Same basic size, I bought it and put it together. Fast forward to a month later. Today it was high time to change the litter. We got all the rats in a cat carrier and I dumped the tray. There under all the litter was a huge hole and another spot started.

The local PS said I had to return it at the store I got it on the highway. That PS said bring in the whole cage and they would exchange it. Okay so I get there and bring home the new cage...except it must have been resealed...no bridge connections.

Back to the store on the highway to get the bridge connections from the old cage. I told them if this one gets bit through I want a full refund. These cages sell for almost a hundred dollars a pop they should be more durable. Then again I know rats can possibly chew sheet metal. Maybe bricks around the outside corners?

I hate to drive to begin with and these poor rats were in that cat carrier for a few hours. I hope they appreciate my effort at least rahhhhhh. I say they invent Kevlar plastic cage trays...we'd pay extra
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2015, 07:40 AM
Some rats chew cages some don't. Not a lot of help am I.

Do they have lots of things they can chew?

Have looked at the cage which is about the size of a Jenny over here.

How many rats are in the cage? I've never kept more than 3 in a Jenny and they were lazy boys.

You can get metal based cages but not sure how big they are.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2015, 05:09 PM
Not sure what a Jenny is. I guess my next search needs to be metal based, multi-level, rodent cage online and see what's out there. They have lots of chew toys at all times. There are seven of them so the cage needs to be a good size. Funny though I posted the question on a rat site and someone recommended the cage that was just wrecked, so it must depend on the ratkins.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2015, 10:16 PM
Lol, little s*ds aren't they. Not really sure what the answer is, i have had a mouse...kept in wire cage with plastic tray, hamsters again wire cage and plastic tray and gerbils, they were kept in a glass tank, that was my favourite set up
Izzythesprocker
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-07-2015, 07:41 PM
I used a metal cage for all 6 of my girls in the past. Plastic doesn't tend to hold in young, adventurous rats from my experience . Lazy Bones 3 tier Rodent Cage/ Pennine Rat and Chinchilla cage is very popular and useful. It lasted me 5 years because of rusting, but was well worth it. You might be able to find bigger versions of this if you wanted to.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2015, 01:50 AM
I'm not techy enough to figure out if there are US retailers for this...it looks like the perfect cage! Can somebody find out please?
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2015, 10:26 PM
If you look for it on amazon.com, there iis deffo one there, it is $140...ish including shipping but that is sent from the u.k and i guess you may have import taxes, also that company (equestrian performance) only gets about 74% in reviews
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-07-2015, 04:01 AM
Oh rats....
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2015, 02:45 AM
Thank you, just the right size to keep them above the dogs AND all metal. I'm ordering one tomorrow...I just know they're going to start gnawing the present cage eventually.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >