Our sister sites
Our sister sites
xionax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2015, 10:42 AM

Anyone Clicking to Calm?

Hi,

My dog has fear aggression, we started off with a great trainer, it involved clicker training sadly she isn't very well at the moment. I have just had a meeting with another trainer and yes her ways were good but didn't work with Tilly & me. So I am thinking of using Click to calm by Karen Pryor to be the trainer instead. Does anyone else use this or has? opinions please ?

It would be great to talk to people who are involved and taking part in click to calm

lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2015, 05:30 PM
IMHO clicker training isn't for every dog. We adopted Sophie as an adult and for her the sound of a clicker is terrifying. I don't know how it would work as a calming cue, but I suppose with some dogs it could be done.
Nicky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2015, 06:24 PM
I haven't read click to calm, (so may have the totally wrong impression, ignore me if I do!) but when I'm doing any calm work I use a different marker. For the dogs I work with, the clicker is used for faster work, so found a click can add excitement. Depends on how your dog responds to the clicker though. Lovemybull, with the noise sensitive dogs I sometimes have a quiet clicker in a sock to really dull the noise, or use the word "bingo" as a marker. Maybe that's helpful for you.