View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2015, 04:02 PM
No point in you panicking. It's as Jackie said, it's more likely that they are ignoring you. No doubt if they are trying to give the dog away, that their contact information is valid, but since your interests lie elsewhere, it's feasible that they are ignoring you as either a time waster, or a patronizing stick in the mud.

We can see that the dogs best interests is all you have in mind, but they cannot see that. I highly doubt you can get into contact with them now. They are likely ignoring you on purpose, and you called them, as well... which the ad asks people not to do.

If it were me, I'd give up... but for the sake of the dog, you can keep trying, but it'll simply be harassment after a while.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2015, 04:10 PM
You might be able to get a shelter worker to offer to take the dog, and then put the dog in sanctuary. You might have been better off offering to take the dog, and then finding a safe place for him. Maybe someone you know can offer to take the dog, get him, and then relocate him somewhere safe. It's a bit dishonest to take the dog and then turn him over to a shelter, but it's in the best interests of the dog, which matters more. At least that way, no horrid people can get their hands on him. They likely won't give him to a shelter, or they'd have done that already... so they'll have to be tricked if a chance is to be stood.

Edit:
Worst case scenario, the dog is already gone so further communication is futile. That may also be why you're getting ignored.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2015, 04:15 PM
I am confused first you say flintshire deeside then wales? Not to worry I have given you phone numbers for both places.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-03-2015, 05:12 PM
I've had 3 free to good home dogs, one admittedly from a family member but the other two from total strangers, They're treated exactly the same as the ones I paid a fortune for. Please don't tar all of us with the same brush, in my case the two from strangers both had issues, I believed I could handle them and I did. At no point did the people giving the dog up give the impression just any one could have them. We emailed at length before meeting and tbh I was treated pretty much the same as any reputable breeder would have treated me. It's not always a disaster, perhaps someone would love a Bichon but can't justify the expense, that doesn't mean it won't be loved and well treated. In my case I wouldn't have paid as I was doing them a favour taking on dogs they couldn't handle and I wasn't going to pay for the priviledge.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2015, 07:28 PM
I guess you are talking about me, Trouble. My Brownie was a free dog and boy if I didn't treat him like a son and love him to utter death. I did not ever DARE to abuse him. I wasn't saying that all people who get free dogs are abusive, no I didn't mean that at all. I was only saying how potentially unsafe it is to just fork over a dog to the first person who asked for it. This is especially true in a pure bred dog that is moderately uncommon. I apologize if my comment came off as offensive. Wasn't meant that way.
Bunnymummy
New Member!
Female 

22-03-2015, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
I am confused first you say flintshire deeside then wales? Not to worry I have given you phone numbers for both places.
Deeside is the area Flintshire is the county and Wales is the country sorry should of explained x
Bunnymummy
New Member!
Female 

22-03-2015, 08:57 PM
I did offer to take him in my message to them . I said if they wanted I'd take him and ensure any new homes were vetted , in a sense I offered to foster without rescue backing but I think this is maybe a lesson learnt Right or wrong I just wanted the best for him and him to end up in a nice loving home , hopefully he is as ad is removed now x
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-03-2015, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I guess you are talking about me, Trouble. My Brownie was a free dog and boy if I didn't treat him like a son and love him to utter death. I did not ever DARE to abuse him. I wasn't saying that all people who get free dogs are abusive, no I didn't mean that at all. I was only saying how potentially unsafe it is to just fork over a dog to the first person who asked for it. This is especially true in a pure bred dog that is moderately uncommon. I apologize if my comment came off as offensive. Wasn't meant that way.
No Myra it was directed at the OP.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2015, 12:35 AM
I thought it was me, sorry. In any case, I just wanted to clarify.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2015, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I've had 3 free to good home dogs, one admittedly from a family member but the other two from total strangers, They're treated exactly the same as the ones I paid a fortune for. Please don't tar all of us with the same brush, in my case the two from strangers both had issues, I believed I could handle them and I did. At no point did the people giving the dog up give the impression just any one could have them. We emailed at length before meeting and tbh I was treated pretty much the same as any reputable breeder would have treated me. It's not always a disaster, perhaps someone would love a Bichon but can't justify the expense, that doesn't mean it won't be loved and well treated. In my case I wouldn't have paid as I was doing them a favour taking on dogs they couldn't handle and I wasn't going to pay for the priviledge.

Yup, been in just that same situation, the above could almost have been written by me!

However, there are unscrupulous people who take the free dogs and abuse them. It is as much about the person rehoming being careful regardless of any financial arrangements. Dogs offered FTGH on these sites always raise alarm bells to those of us who pick up the pieces of the devestation surrounding lost and stolen dogs.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >