Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2015, 01:15 PM

Poor Blue

Blue is our nearly 16 year old cream tabby. She woke up this morning making a gurgling sound. I studied her and noticed her nostrils were flared but she was mostly breathing from her mouth as it was ajar and her whiskers flared every time she took a breath. She makes a gurgling noise each time she takes a breath and has coughed a few times.

We are heading into the walk in after hours vet in about an hour. She's really not in such good shape. Please wish us luck there. My mother is neigh a meltdown already as this cat is her true baby and I have no idea what will happen if Blue is really sick.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2015, 02:50 PM
Fingers crossed it's just a chest infection xx
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2015, 03:29 PM

Here we are. We are sitting next to a yorkie with heart failure due for euthanasia. Sad day for everyone.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2015, 05:15 PM
Oh blue ��. Thinking of you guys xx.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2015, 06:36 PM
We are back. X rays showed lung trouble. Inflamed bronchial tubes and over inflated lungs. The vet also said that while the lungs should look black on the rays, they were too gray, signaling trouble breathing.

No heart abnormalities other than increased speed due to trouble breathing. A deep wheeze was heard by the vet and she has diagnosed with feline asthma. She has been given prednisone and allerchlor to see if she responds. If not, she will be prescribed an inhaler.

$200 vet bill. Higher than expected but at least the baby girl is okay.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2015, 06:50 PM
Awww poor Blue, I hope the medication works. I can understand how your Mum must be feeling/
Phew that is some bill
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2015, 07:23 PM
My friends cat had that. He was fine once he had the meds xx
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2015, 07:53 PM
My old cat buster had an inhaler due to asthma, he was fine with it. He also lived for ages just fine with meds he was PTS because he quality of life was dropping due to his tummy not absorbing food like it should have done and infection as well.Anyway it wasn't that asthma I always gave Buster a really nice treat before his uinhaler then as he got used to it he just got his meal. So fined a treat that Blue loves then put the mask on for a few second and treat again and build up and soon I was able to use the inhaler fine he just thought it was a very weird dinner bell!!
Hope Blue get better soon and don't worry cat can live full and happy lives with Asthma.

Sally
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2015, 07:59 PM
Thanks, everyone. My mother was nearly in a panic and wait times (and vet bills) were insane at the vet. I heard one lady enjoy a $900 vet bill. Ouch.

Ndidi, she has not been given an inhaler yet, we hope it's a mild case and the pills work. If they do, we'll snag some more to use as needed, if not, then the inhaler. Thanks for the information, she's not usually a difficult cat, but she can be so I might need food to entice her.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2015, 01:30 PM
I have two wonderful bite marks on my hands where I tried to pill her and she was having none of it, but Blue is showing no signs of distress this morning. Who cares about the bites in lieu of that? We're all very happy.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >