View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RoboDog
New Member!
Female 

14-01-2015, 04:50 AM

I need some advice; am I doing the right thing?

Last week I found a little, skinny Chihuahua mix in my backyard. I brought her in and fed her, and let her nap for a few hours in the warm house. She had a license tag so I called the shelter. They were going to put me in touch with the owners, but then said that since she was so thin, I should bring her to the shelter so that they could evaluate her to make sure she wasn't being neglected or abused. So I do.

I ask to be kept updated on her status, and they ask me if I want to adopt her if her owners don't take her back. I say yes because it's a high kill shelter, and for some reason, I'm feeling really responsible for this little dog. The shelter calls me the next afternoon and tells me that the owners don't want her...even though they'd bothered to get her a license, her rabies shots, and call the shelter looking for her, they decide not to take her back for some reason.

So I adopt her, thinking at least she's out of the shelter, and maybe I can foster her until she can gain some weight and I can get her spayed. The thing is, I have two cocker spaniels already and my four year old niece lives with me and this little dog is afraid of all of them. Not to mention I'm only casually employed and on a tight budget. I've been keeping her separated from my dogs and niece while the vet tests her for parasites, and trying to split my time in between everybody. She hates being alone for too long, and my cockers are the same way. One of my cockers, Ben, is taking it all in stride, but Maggie has started limping around the house and spending a lot of time in her crate. I've checked her paws and don't think anything's wrong with them. I think she's very upset with me for bringing in another dog.

So I desperately need to find this little girl (her name is Lucy) a good home, but I'm not sure where to start. Should I wait until she's gained weight and been spayed first? Should I try to find her a home myself (requiring a fee, references, and the name and number of a vet)? Or should I take her to a local no kill shelter and volunteer there whenever I can (since I can't afford much in the way of a donation)? I feel so responsible for her, even while I'm unable to keep her...and that gets me, because she's such a great little dog, and she deserves a lifelong home, not to be passed around from place to place. And I think she's getting attached to me, which makes this even harder. Did I do the wrong thing here? I just didn't want her in that shelter, and I didn't even think to ask if they had a foster program until after the fact. I really want to do the best thing for everybody. I'd appreciate any advice.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2015, 05:29 AM
Here is the link for PetFinder
https://www.petfinder.com/pet-care/g...ding-home-pet/
They have lots of great information and are a nationwide adoption resource. Best of luck and bless you.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2015, 08:56 AM
If you hadn't taken her in,heaven only knows what could have happened to her,so I think you did the right thing,absolutely.
I can't advise you on what to do next but I'm sure whatever your decision,you'll have her best interests at heart and do your very best to ensure she's taken care of.
Been in a similar situation myself recently and I totally understand how torn you must be feeling right now,its awful Keeping my fingers crossed for you both,really hope everything works out well for the wee girl(( hugs))
RoboDog
New Member!
Female 

15-01-2015, 05:56 AM
@lovemybull: Thank you very much for that link. That helps a lot in knowing what to ask potential adopters!

@Lacey10: Thank you. I've been doubting this decision a lot, wondering if I'm in over my head. I might be, but I'm trying to make sure this all works out for the best. There's got to be someone out there who can give her the perfect home. I'll keep looking!
alice0675
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-01-2015, 06:23 AM
Good luck, hope you manage to find this little girl a forever home
RoboDog
New Member!
Female 

17-01-2015, 06:23 PM
@alice0675: Thank you; I hope so too!