Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2013, 08:08 PM

'Flash' is sick ....

I have just got back from the vet where Flash has been diagnosed with Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE) having haemorrhaged while straining in the garden. An hour before he had also been very sick. The vet was fantastic and immediately gave him 15mg codeine as his insides were in spasm as I arrived there. He was given an injection of antibiotics and then a thorough check over. When putting the tip of his finger up his anus more blood came out. He is not dehydrated and therefore he didn't think it would be in his interest to keep him in which would just put more stress on his heart murmur and I assured him that I won't leave him alone and will keep him hydrated. He doesn't want him drinking cold water or eating ice and would rather I syringed small amounts of tepid water into his mouth every hour.
However, he told me that he will pass more blood and could sick blood up (he did on the way home) but was more concerned about his lethargy and depression. Bless him he just lay on his side and let the vet do anything (very unlike Flash). He is expecting him to feel a lot better by the morning but if he passes a lot of blood or sicks up blood again to take him straight in at 8 or during the night if it is acute. No food at all until we see how he is in the morning.

He had an upset tummy on Saturday evening which I treated with Canikur and Antepsin. He is a dreadful scavenger so a day of an upset tummy is not unusual. TSunday morning he stopped drinking so I kept him hydrated with syringing water into his mouth. He had quite a lot more diarrhoea during the day but better than yesterday. He seemed to perk up quite a bit mid afternoon but then went down hill frighteningly quickly. He is now lying on the cold tiles in the kitchen and hasn't moved since we got back from the vets - he is so still that I keep checking he's still breathing ...... he's not a happy little dog

***Rucksack has now gone down with it having just passed a load of blood on the kitchen floor. Phoned the vet and he's to share Flash's antibiotics. Think I'm in for a worrying night!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Oh Jenny sorry to hear that, I am sure he will start to recover now they know what it is....

Big hugs to the little boy xx
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Oh my gosh, no!
Poor Flash

Sending plenty of healing cuddles and licks - hope he feels better soon x x
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Awwww jenny I'm sorry sounds like you have got him to the vet in time and hopefully he will be feeling a lot better in the morning.
I hope you have a restful night both of you but I suspect you won't even if Flash does.
(((Hugs))) to you and gentle ones to flash.
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Awww jenny. Poor Flash. What a good job you got him to the vets. I'm sure he will feel better in the morning - hope so anyway. ((((hugs to you both)))
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Oh Jenny, I can't imagine what you are going through. I really hope that your prompt action stopped this in its tracks and he will turn a corner and you don't have to take him in.
However, if he does have to go in, please take heart that he will be in the very best place for them to sort this dreadful thing out and they will be able to turn it round quickly
Lots of love and hugs from us all here

x
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Sorry to hear Flash isn't feeling too good, hope he has a good night, you too and he starts to perk up in the morning x

Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Poor wee Flash Hopefully with rest he'll be back to himself in no time.Horrible feeling of worry when their not well,sending ((hugs)) to you both xx
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Poor Flash and poor you Jenny - you must be so worried about him. Hopefully he will feel a good bit better in the morning. Sending hugs to you both xx
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Oh heck Jenny, what a nightmare for you - you must be desperately worried and my thoughts are most definitely with you. I am so sorry to be reading this.

Poor Flash, I really do have everything crossed that he manages to get over this very quickly indeed.

There will be no sleep for you tonight I fear.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »