Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I think that totally yes a LOT of it down to training and in an ideal world everyone would train their dogs and keep control of them. Unfortunately we live in a reality where there are a lot of people who have little or no understanding of how to train their dog, or simply do not care that their dog runs riot. Do we really want to add entire males to the never ending lists of complaints about dog walkers we see even just on this board?

For what it's worth, I have known of three entire males, that all had behavioural issues fixed by neutering. Two were agility dogs and one was a working gun dog. So its not always purely down to non trained dogs. On the other hand people think that neutering will result in an instantly trained dog and fix all issues when we all know it doesn't.

As always there is no black and white answer and a lot depends on the individual dog and of course the owner.
I agree there is no black and white answer to this kind of discussion. There are so many variations.

I would be interested to know what the behaviour issues were that were fixed purely (?) by neutering? Were they of a sexual nature?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Good to know you think I'm not worth replying to...
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Me too!

I think it possibly means there is no answer to the questions posed.

Strange discussion forum where someone posts and can't back it up and won't discuss

Especially when that person is the owner of the forum!

rune
It's exactly comments and assumptions like that that tend to put people off.

Anyway, back on topic now, thanks.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Can anyone answer why Sweden have changed their laws?

rune
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I agree there is no black and white answer to this kind of discussion. There are so many variations.

I would be interested to know what the behaviour issues were that were fixed purely (?) by neutering? Were they of a sexual nature?
The gun dog humped EVERYTHING in sight, could not get him to focus on anything. On the lead he would whine and fidget trying to get to literally any other dog in the vicinity. Owner is an experienced handler, tried everything, didn't want to neuter but ended up taking it as a last resort. Overnight, different dog, totally focused, wanting to work, no interest in other dogs.

Agility - first dog was easily distracted by other dogs, would run out the ring, sniff the ground etc. Again trainer with years of experience, was meant to be breeding dog but chose to neuter.

I don't actually know the exact background of the other one as I don't know the person all that well so I'll just say two

Was it purely neutering that changed the dogs here? Maybe, maybe not. Nothing else in their environment changed and they were fully mature? What else could it be? Genuine question.

It's not the quick fix for training issues some think it is, but It seems to work in some cases?

(feel free to discuss, my thoughts on this are not set in stone )
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 07:07 PM
There are so many reasons why castration can be for the good of both the dog and the owner in many cases.

Studies contradict each other so until more definite proof is available, it has to be a personal choice
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 07:11 PM
I have had three dogs castrated for behaviour issues---all issues within my group.

Celt was done aged about 2 as he was trying hard to take over from Champa and Champa is (or was) a very strong minded neutered male. It was getting silly so i neutered Celt and the problems became a lot less. He still pushed it sometimes but was a lot calmer.

Feral dog Pippin was done for the same reasons and it calmed him down.

Fizz was done for a few reasons, one was that Zeff wanted to eat him, the most important one was because he was going to be rehomed and I was offered a home by someone who wanted him entire---very worrying. Obviously he didn't go there but I decided that I would remove temptation---then I kept him!

Tassle has two entire males and thats fine, I think each case should be looked at seperately.

As the writer of the second study Azz pointed us to said.

rune
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 07:14 PM
The gun dog humped EVERYTHING in sight, could not get him to focus on anything. On the lead he would whine and fidget trying to get to literally any other dog in the vicinity. Owner is an experienced handler, tried everything, didn't want to neuter but ended up taking it as a last resort. Overnight, different dog, totally focused, wanting to work, no interest in other dogs.

Agility - first dog was easily distracted by other dogs, would run out the ring, sniff the ground etc. Again trainer with years of experience, was meant to be breeding dog but chose to neuter.

I don't actually know the exact background of the other one as I don't know the person all that well so I'll just say two

Was it purely neutering that changed the dogs here? Maybe, maybe not. Nothing else in their environment changed and they were fully mature? What else could it be? Genuine question.

It's not the quick fix for training issues some think it is, but It seems to work in some cases?

(feel free to discuss, my thoughts on this are not set in stone )
Thanks, you answered my question by saying nothing else in their environment changed and they were mature dogs.

I don't disagree that neutering can improve certain behaviour in some dogs - and it is usually behaviour of a sexually driven nature.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 07:17 PM
I was always told that castration didn't work without a behaviour programme but there was no way I could do anything with Pippin as I couldn't touch him never mind anything else!

So not true in his case.

rune
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 07:25 PM
I have had three dogs castrated for behaviour issues---all issues within my group.

Celt was done aged about 2 as he was trying hard to take over from Champa and Champa is (or was) a very strong minded neutered male. It was getting silly so i neutered Celt and the problems became a lot less. He still pushed it sometimes but was a lot calmer.

Feral dog Pippin was done for the same reasons and it calmed him down.

Fizz was done for a few reasons, one was that Zeff wanted to eat him, the most important one was because he was going to be rehomed and I was offered a home by someone who wanted him entire---very worrying. Obviously he didn't go there but I decided that I would remove temptation---then I kept him!

Tassle has two entire males and thats fine, I think each case should be looked at seperately.

As the writer of the second study Azz pointed us to said.

rune
I also think each case needs to be looked at separately - and that is what the majority of responsible owners would do (I would hope anyway!).

I had my first GSD bitch spayed not long after I got her (at around 16 months). She showed some signs of nervous aggression towards other dogs - which got a whole lot worse after she was spayed.

I had one of my collie males neutered simply because I thought it was the done thing at the time. I ended up wondering whether having him neutered as young (around 9 months I think) had been wise, as he remained quite an immature dog and was very tall, and long in limb ... possibly as a result of being neutered before his growth plates closed.

Yogi was neutered as a knee jerk reaction to his bullying tactics with other dogs, and it was the last straw for me when he nailed Moss (one of my collies) and seemed intent on damage. The neutering didn't change his behaviour at all unfortunately.

I now have one neutered male, one spayed bitch, and two entire males. As I said, I think the health benefits for bitches definitely weigh in favour of having a bitch spayed, but unless for a specific health concern, I probably would not neuter any more male dogs I own.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 07:28 PM
I was always told that castration didn't work without a behaviour programme but there was no way I could do anything with Pippin as I couldn't touch him never mind anything else!

So not true in his case.

rune
Yes, I worry that people on both sides of this argument repeate what they have heard without any facts, I think we are all guilty of this, I know I have suggested to people that they possibly shouldnt get a dog neutered while they are having issues with them because I have heard it said enough and it made sense - but really I have no real experience or seen any evidence of it.
and there are studies uppon studies contradicting everything anyone can post on either side here

I think basically there are pros and cons both way, on balance, for me, I prefer neutering because all the dogs I know in my street either have huge issues (humping, sexual agression and stress like totaly not eating when a bitch is in heat) to the extent that all but 2 have been neutered and one of the others is thinking about it

But having said that when the time came to get Ben done if I didnt have to I am not sure I would have done just for my personal fear of putting him tru a GA when he didnt really need it
- Im glad I was made to tho, who knows how he may have turned out - but I am really happy I dont have to worry about intact males having a go at him
Page 7 of 16 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »