View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Agree with the majority here, rescues yes yes yes, and unfortunatly if that means doing them young because in real life joe public cannot actually prevent dogs breeding then so be it
Its up to the individual for the rest, but I again agree, in the real world things are very different to internet forums, the majority of pet owners cannot cope with entire males and bitches in heat
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I completely agree with this.

Although I only come across the "I don't believe in neutering male dogs" attitude on internet forums. In real life, 95% of pet dogs I know/meet are neutered.

My dog and bitches are all spayed and neutered as will all future dogs when they are the appropriate age. I see no reason to keep pet dogs entire.
I think this thread was supposed to be about rescue dogs. However, I would like to respond to that last sentence.

I used to be very much of the opinion that all dogs that weren't to be bred from should be neutered. However, for the last 5 years or so, and after having looked into it, spoken to vets and others, have decided that actually there are no great benefits to neutering male dogs in particular, and in fact it could be detrimental in some cases. However, I still believe the health benefits to bitches mean that regular spaying should certainly be undertaken for pets and non-breeding bitches.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

27-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
All mine are neutered and I will always do so I agree
Me too.

Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
For rescues I totally agree that males and females should be neutered.

I think giving "joe public" the impression that entire dogs are a good idea is very silly, and tbh I think the small health risks associated with castrating an adult dog are far far outweighed by the current over population problem. Not to mention the behavioural aspects that come with an entire male - are most people really equipped to cope? I think not.
Just wonder why you think rescues should neuter but breeders not insist on it if the dog is going to be a pet? Dont get me wrong I totally agree that rescues should neuter but why are people who get a rescue more likely to let their dogs roam around mating any other old rescue?

Sorry not just picking out your post but others who have said this as well.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Just wonder why you think rescues should neuter but breeders not insist on it if the dog is going to be a pet? Dont get me wrong I totally agree that rescues should neuter but why are people who get a rescue more likely to let their dogs roam around mating any other old rescue?

A breeder CANNOT insist on you neutering your dog, any more than they can insist on the diet, training or any other choice of animal husbandry you make (and a good job too IMHO).

A rescue CAN because of course they can ensure that NO pet is rehomed prior to neutering.

Simple.

They are simply ensuring that any future dogs that may come to their shelter are not the product of dogs they have rehomed.

My GSD is still entire at 7 and I see no reason to remove his reproductive organs, if and when I do, then I will action.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I think this thread was supposed to be about rescue dogs. However, I would like to respond to that last sentence.

I used to be very much of the opinion that all dogs that weren't to be bred from should be neutered. However, for the last 5 years or so, and after having looked into it, spoken to vets and others, have decided that actually there are no great benefits to neutering male dogs in particular, and in fact it could be detrimental in some cases. However, I still believe the health benefits to bitches mean that regular spaying should certainly be undertaken for pets and non-breeding bitches.
I think that depends on where you live Moobli and what you have to deal with. I would imagine that you don't see many other dog owners where you live now, whereas others are not so fortunate to live in a beautiful quiet location such as yours.

I live in an area where there are a LOT of other dogs. The very small minority of entire males are, frankly, a pain in the backside. The average dog owner has NO idea how to handle one. The last run in we had with an entire dog involved one bolting out of a park as I was walking along a main road, with the dog salivating, frothing at the mouth, mounting my dogs frantically and leaping all over them. I have never witnessed this type of desperate behaviour in a neutered male.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-07-2012, 10:57 AM
I think I'm joe public and until my current group of dogs all my previous ones were kept entire and I managed them just fine. They were just as well behaved as the current crew and just as well trained and none of them went around humping anything. Of my current lot my males are neutered and 1 female is spayed and 2 females are entire. I have no plans to breed any of them. I neutered simply because I have a mixed sex household but should I return to a single sex household I would probably not neuter.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 10:59 AM
I haven't always lived in Utopia Labradork

It sounds to me as though you have met dogs with little or no training - I wouldn't have said that the fact they were entire was the problem.

Did you have a bitch in heat when the dog came out of the park and tried to mount your dogs?

I have an entire male BC and an entire male GSD and I would only have them done now on medical grounds.

I wasn't saying that nobody should have their male dogs neutered. However, I believe the choice should be that of the owner.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Me too.

Simply because it is in the rescues remit (or it should be) to try and reduce the number of dogs coming into rescue. You are taking a dog under contract from the rescue so you abide by their rules.

Can you imagine the unscrupulous bybs who want to breed, why pay say, £800 for a dog from a breeder when you can pick one up for over half the price in a rescue? The reality of the world is that there is a LOT of people who think like that, and would take rescues on in order to make a profit from them.

I think that absolutely there should also be a lot more stringent procedures in place with regards to breeders breeding dogs too, but I think it's a different issue entirely and not necassarily linked to the neutered status of their dogs.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
For rescues I totally agree that males and females should be neutered.

I think giving "joe public" the impression that entire dogs are a good idea is very silly, and tbh I think the small health risks associated with castrating an adult dog are far far outweighed by the current over population problem. Not to mention the behavioural aspects that come with an entire male - are most people really equipped to cope? I think not.
I completely agree!

Most of the dogs around here are spayed and neutered... and it is usually the entire ones that cause a problem.

I have had two dogs neutered, both rescues and both were done young. Neither have/had any issues as a result of this. I'm not sure yet when I will neutered Arrow, but I am planning on waiting until he is 18 months - 2 years... I am interested to see what difference there is, if any.

I do find it offensive when people criticise you as an owner, based on whether your dogs are neutered or not.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I do find it offensive when people criticise you as an owner, based on whether your dogs are neutered or not.
I don't find it offensive, but I find it ridiculous.

Statement such as "ALL responsible dog owners will ensure their dogs are neutered" get up my nose.

I know plenty of irresponsible dog owners with neutered dogs.

I know plenty of responsible dog owners with unneutered dogs.
Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »