View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2012, 05:00 PM
I've tried it with my lot - Keiko loves it, as expected, Rio and Rogue hated it and Dan's too strong for me to run with and he goes too fast. My only problem is MY fitness is rubbish!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the replies Definitely want to give it ago, want to improve my fitness really more than anything

Will look into harness tomorrow when I'm on the computer and not my phone, and see how he do. I'm hoping burning some energy that way will also improve his concentration for training.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
in theory harness = im allowed to pull collar = no pulling
This is why I use a harness, plus he pulls when running so didn't want neck damage.
I have a dog games fleece harness and one of these belts for me
http://www.kisi.co.uk/index.php?page...emart&Itemid=1
Treated myself to one of their double running lines for when I run with Teg and Shambles.

I really enjoy it and Teg loves it, although he would like me to go faster! Can be a bit hair raising with Teg and Shambles going full pelt, I certainly have to move my legs quicker!
I have taught them when to start running (I need frequent walking breaks!), when to stop, when to slow down and left and right turns.
honeytone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Another canicrosser here!

I've only competed in two CaniX events, but Murphy's now an honorary member of my running club and we take part in most of their off-road training runs - anything up to 15 miles. I've found that it's the perfect activity for a Beagle who can't be trusted off-leash!

It's an excellent way to get fit and strengthen the bond with your dog.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 02:03 PM
I would say use a harness - even if he doesn't pull in a collar, if you're jogging along and he stops for a pee without you realising, your weight (not calling you fat! But in proportion to a little dog) will be a big jolt on his neck.
I've just got some running shoes and asked OH to stick the C25K podcasts on his iPod for me to start next week, I think I'll try a few days by myself but then start to take Kiki along with me, I think she'll enjoy it Casper too actually, we did used to jog together (my pathetic excuse for jogging) when I first got him.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Much safer in harness.
My OH often runs with ours but like honeytone has only done a couple of canix events. I've just started up again but only run a couple of miles max at the moment as I'm recovering from a back injury. The dogs absolutely love it, the hard part is keeping them steady going downhill!
Enjoy it
honeytone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by bint View Post
Much safer in harness.
My OH often runs with ours but like honeytone has only done a couple of canix events. I've just started up again but only run a couple of miles max at the moment as I'm recovering from a back injury. The dogs absolutely love it, the hard part is keeping them steady going downhill!
Enjoy it
Glad to hear you're able to get back to running!
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by honeytone View Post
Glad to hear you're able to get back to running!
Thanks. Not running far but it's better than nothing
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2