Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 10:00 AM

Wish me luck please?

Some of you may be aware that I had started obedience training with Zane. This was with a view to continuing on (hopefuly) to full Sch training at some point in the future.

It has been decided that Zane (aside from being a pain in the bum) doesn't now have the drive to continue with the training.

Because of this and because the trainer and other members of the club know I am interested in the sport, I have been offered the opportunity of training a dog that is half SL and half WL. That is of course, if everything works out and I do take on the dog.

He's 5 months old and isn't doing well in a kennel environment. He has the drive to work but isn't off the wall. He has the level-headedness of a SL dog too.
He apparently is too active for a pet/show home but not active enough for a working type home. He's right in the middle and so maybe he's suitable for me to train.
I don't think I could cope realistically with an extremely high drive dog having not owned one before.

So, he has more about him that Zane or Yiannis but he's not as "drivey" (if there is such a word) as Jenzi.

I have no idea what he looks like or his name as yet. I will be going to see him and meeting the breeder in person (we have communicated before on e-mail quite extensively about Jenzi) maybe next week or the week after.

So please wish me luck. Of course it may all fall flat but I hope not. It would mean I have an opportunity of getting into the sport with a dog more suited to it than my lot and this boy would get to come out of the kennel environment.

If all goes well with him and I am able to keep him, I then pay for him. If things don't go so well (although I don't see why they wouldn't), then he can go back.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Interesting, let us know how you get on.

There is no point in trying to compete in a sport with the wrong material or trying to handle a dog that is too much for you, so hopefully this may exactly what you need.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Good luck.

I am just curious as to why you would take on another GSD in the aim of training for schutzhund, when I thought the whole point of the training in the first place was to try to do something with your current dogs?

If Schutzhund isn't the right sport for Zane, have you considered working trials or competitive obedience?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 11:39 AM
I will still continue with obedience will all of my dogs and would like Zane to be able to go into compeititon at some point. About 18 months ago I let slide the pet obedience classes. I still worked at home withthe dogs but stopped staing them to classes. I was bored with it and Zane showed no enthusiasm for it.

But as I have an interest in the sport, as SB has said my dogs are not the right material for the job after all. it doesn't mean I'm going to give up on them at all. Far from it. If anything I will work them just as hard at obedience, if not harder than the pup.

The reason I am considering training another GSD is because firstly he isn't doing well in kennels. He's too much for a show or pet home and not enough for a working home. He's in the middle of the road and both the trainer and the breeder think that maybe as I haven't trained in Schutzhund before, this dog could be the right way to go.

I agree with the trainer and SB in that if I were to take on a full WL GSD I may not be able to cope with the level of drive the dog has. This way, I can help and do the dog a favour by having him live with me and I get to train him and hopefully be able to play a full part in the sport at a later date.

There is no pressure for me to take on this dog. If things don't work out he can go back to the breeder. If everything works out fine and he is able to stay (which I am quietly hopeful and confident that he will do) then I pay for the dog and continue to train with him.
The agreement is that I train every day with him (which goes without saying IMO) and I attend training on the field each week on a Sunday at least (possibility of training on a Tuesday or Thursday too sometimes depending on other members'w rok schedules as they're all police officers).

Please don't think my current dogs will lose out in any way. I have more than enough time to continue training my lot and training the pup. I will not allow any of the dogs to lose out in any way. They will all still get their cuddles, exercise time, play time, training time etc and so will the pup; who I'm told needs to be in a house rather than a kennel.

I was aiming to try to train with my own dogs but Jenzi can only do the BH and possibly some of ther tracking because fo her hips. But she can go further in what I would call "normal" obedience (if thwat makes sense).
Zane will continue with "normal" obedience training and hopefully will get somewhere in competition. Yiannis still has major problems whena round strange peopel wlthough he is improving. His obedience is fine in the house or out ona walk that he knows. Any changes to routine or environment tresults in an imeediate explosion from his rear end so I doubt he'll get to competition level (publicly anyway, I can still train him at home).

I think I'm waffling now and am sure I've repeated myself. Basically, my own dogs, although still training are not suitable for bite work for different reasons. This new pup is suitable and needs out of the kennel situation he is in to live in a house. I can provide this and train him. Because he's half SL I should be able to cope with his level of drive.

So I help the dog by having him live with me in the house with my lot. I'm also helping out his breeder because she doesn't want him in kennels. The breeder is doing me a favour by allowing me to take him on. I get to live and learn with a dog with more drive than mine have generally and get to train him up to full bite work hopefully.

It's a solution to a problem that we both have. it means hopefully that the dog is happier, the breeder gets whast she wants (potentially the dog sold if it all works out) and I get what I want (to train a dog in Sch).
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Sorry Stumpy - I wasn't asking for you to have to justify your decision. I just guess you have caught the training bug

Good luck with it all. What are the dogs lines, if you don't mind me asking?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Have PM'd you. Don't want to say publicly just yet, just in case it doesn't all work out.

I don't mind justifying my decision. I expect people to ask questions if I post something. But yes you're right. I am hooked on training. No matter how much hard work it is, isn't it great to see them actually work and do well at what you know they can do?!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 08:06 PM
hope it all goes well, updates to follow?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Absolutely. Will be speaking with trainer at weekend and will go to the kennels with him most likely next week.

Will update with progress and piccies.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 07:42 AM
Good luck, I hope it works out for you. Nothing wrong with being mad about training, much more rewarding than watching the tv!
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Good Luck, Schutzhund is addictive.

Look forward to some pics!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >