View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 01:17 PM
When I was a student I joined the Hill & Mountain Rescue(Upper Wharfedale Fell Rescue) in my second year at College. In my 3rd year I had my first BC with me & she was eventually SAR trained. She was never trained in a harness(not the norm back then(early 1970s). She qualified when she was 5 years old & worked until she was nearly 10 years old.

She was a natural air scenting dog luckily
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
When I was a student I joined the Hill & Mountain Rescue(Upper Wharfedale Fell Rescue) in my second year at College. In my 3rd year I had my first BC with me & she was eventually SAR trained. She was never trained in a harness(not the norm back then(early 1970s). She qualified when she was 5 years old & worked until she was nearly 10 years old.

She was a natural air scenting dog luckily
Excellent Dyane. Any exciting rescue stories for us?
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-10-2011, 02:49 PM
this may be of interest to you moobli

http://www.tommiddlemas.com/
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
this may be of interest to you moobli

http://www.tommiddlemas.com/
Thanks Nick. I already know Tom, and will definitely be picking his brains next time I see him ... but he is always such a busy man!
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Kirsty, I don't know if you are a member of the Working Dog Forum? They have a whole section on SAR and although most are doing it for actual SAR work, you might pick up some tips about how to get started and progress etc.
Ellard
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Tom trained me and my dog for Lowland SAR open search and we used a reflective coat rather than a harness and no line on the trialing dogs used harnesses and lines. We also taught Callum to come back to me and bark to let me know he had found the 'body'. Some SAR teams have the dog bark at the find others have them go to the handler and bark and then take them in.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by scout75 View Post
Kirsty, I don't know if you are a member of the Working Dog Forum? They have a whole section on SAR and although most are doing it for actual SAR work, you might pick up some tips about how to get started and progress etc.
Is that the K9 Protection one? I have been a member for years but rarely post and very rarely go on these days ... I will pop on and have a look, thanks.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Ellard View Post
Tom trained me and my dog for Lowland SAR open search and we used a reflective coat rather than a harness and no line on the trialing dogs used harnesses and lines. We also taught Callum to come back to me and bark to let me know he had found the 'body'. Some SAR teams have the dog bark at the find others have them go to the handler and bark and then take them in.
Thank you and that is very interesting Ellard. Are you a member of a Lowland SAR group? Did Tom run classes or did he train you individually.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 08:00 PM
the "smellorama" book is an interesting read about scent work
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Yes it is a simple introduction for pet people.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >