Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-10-2011, 01:44 PM

Pure terrier instinct.

At a friends smallholding over lunch (they have a decent sized garden and rent ajoing 2 fields to keep an array of all sorts in there, all of which end up very tasty may I add ) Had both the dogs with me as said friend is having a huge problem with the local wild rabbit population...digging up his veg patch, and hassling some of the rex rabbits he keeps, "Dulcie" has been showing increasing terrier like interests lately..and has joined in with catching mice/rats and a rabbit, I say this loosley as Flo does all the work and the young lady tends to mouth a lot and get very excited. But today she proved that after generations of working russells the fact my OH puts a pink collar ( )on her and that she spends most of her time upside down with moggies, she is going to be as sharp as a tack when older. She flushed out a very big wild buck all by herself, gave hot pursuit and "went to ground" (you can barely even call it that, but for sentiments sake as its her first time I will ) for it as it dissapeared down what said friend reffered too as a hidey/bolt hole for when being chased (have hid here when he's tried to shoot them!), drew out and dispatched very quickly. Looked proud as punch with herself too, she'd be even prouder if she knew she'd caught their dinner for tonight
She's sharp as a tack, very very driven. still veyr young and wont be worked hard at all, was only really allowed to have a proper go today as I was more curious than anything else. Rabbits are pretty easy, when she's a bit bigger and a bit more experienced and has learnt some control I think she'll find tackling rats by herself a bit more difficult than just biting and yapping at one's that Flo catches I may even keep my fingers crossed that she'll show some inerest in keeping the local tree rat population down too, as opposed to her mentor who looses interest in squirrel catching very very quickly...won't count my chickens though!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2011, 03:35 PM
ive been with some terriers and lurchers today. its amazing to watch them work