Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2011, 02:05 PM

"Your dog will be in season soon"

Jin is submissive and rolls on her back for any dog; even ones younger or smaller than her!

Someones male pup (10 months) was v interested in her so the owner said she'll be coming into season soon....

Jin is 5 months.

Is it likely?

Or is it more likely that the 10 month boy is oversexed (hormones!!).

?????
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
Jin is submissive and rolls on her back for any dog; even ones younger or smaller than her!

Someones male pup (10 months) was v interested in her so the owner said she'll be coming into season soon....

Jin is 5 months.

Is it likely?

Or is it more likely that the 10 month boy is oversexed (hormones!!).

?????
He's not over sexed thats normal behaviour at his age, but it doesn't always mean she's coming in season, a lot of males of this age will get excited at other males too.
However about 6 months is the norm for a first season, though they vary widely, so its very likely she's coming in.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Young male dogs get"excited"around female dogs period-it doesn't mean the dog is over sexed nor the bitch is coming into season. Young male dogs have little if any experience of in season bitches & so just a "normal"amount of female hormone is interesting to them.

My Keewee came into season at 8 months & again at 14 months so looks like she is going to be a 6 monthly cycle season bitch like her mother-now Jessie went 8 months between seasons & like her mother never had regular "normal"seasons, her first season with me was when she was 3 1/4 years old & I had her from 15 months old
Mica
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2011, 02:30 PM
If you had said that an older/stud dog's owner thought she might be comin into season, then it could have validity.. but as everyone else has suggested.. young males are very exciteable anyway.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Little One had her first season at 5 months but it was scarcely noticeable, and none of the neighbourhood dogs took any notice. Pereg was maybe six or seven months old and her season was very obvious, but again none of the dogs that wander around took any notice.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Little One had her first season at 5 months but it was scarcely noticeable, and none of the neighbourhood dogs took any notice. Pereg was maybe six or seven months old and her season was very obvious, but again none of the dogs that wander around took any notice.
I dont like the former part of this comment!

How did YOU know she was in season then? *scared*
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Some dogs - like us humans, have light seasons and some have heavy seasons.

Sadie's have gotten lighter as she has gotten older and some times it's just a few spots on the lino you can see, before it was really obvious she was in season..
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
I dont like the former part of this comment!

How did YOU know she was in season then? *scared*
Because she was on my bed, flat on her back, in her "come and get me" position, and I saw a tiny drop of blood on the tip of her vulva, just by the end of her urethra.

That was the only sign I saw, and had it not been for the fact that I used to breed Griffons in another life, I probably would not have even noticed it. I could actually smell the scent she put out. Not a nasty smell but just a slight hormonal change in her.

It was actually rather similar to the amniotic fluid lost by a woman in labour once her membranes have ruptured. The sort of odour that is not particularly unpleasant but once smelled never forgotten.

Some people are more sensitive to odours than others. As an example I can smell the difference on Pereg's breath and in her urine since she has been on Pb, and I understand that is extremely rare in humans.

Pereg was different. Her first season was a full blown, swollen vulva, a bit messy one. But the odour was the same. Not nasty, just, at least to me, noticeable and recognisable.