Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mcurrieri
New Member!
Male 

17-08-2011, 06:36 AM

New to Dogsey (herding advice )

Hello, I'm new to Dogsey. Next week a 1 yr old white German Sheppard will come live on my farm where I raise alpacas. I would like to train him to herd the alpacas. Anyone have experience with training GSD to herd?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 06:37 AM
HI

GSD do not really "herd" like BCs etc.................

If you contact some GSD clubs you may find those who are into HGH, failing that you might find help with the Aussie clubs (Australian Shepherd Dog)
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Welcome to Dogsey. I also have GSDs (and BCs) and live on a hill farm in Scotland. As well as sheep, cows and ponies, we also have a handful of alpaca. I have always trained my GSDs to ignore our livestock - as we have the BCs for the job of herding. As has already been said, and as you are probably aware, GSDs don't herd in the same way as BCs do, but there are herding clinics held in the US that cater for all breeds, so perhaps searching out one of those could be a good start?

http://www.awsaclub.com/howtodo/herding.htm

http://www.k9station.com/stockdog.htm
mcurrieri
New Member!
Male 

18-08-2011, 06:51 AM
Thanks for your reply. I will be taking delivery of GSD this weekend. He has not been well cared for and pretty much been left alone for long periods of time. I'm told he has 'behavior problems'. I didn't ask what figuring I could work with him and make him a proud very cared for animal.

As to using him for herding, maybe just to give him a job to do once in a while. I don't expect he will be able to cut an alpaca and deliver it to me.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Good luck with it. Most problems with GSDs come when they learn that scary things go away if you shout and act fierce. So if he appears aggressive, turn away and wait till he comes to you. They bluster a lot, but are sensitive underneath.
Two good books are:
James O`Heare - the Dog Aggression Workbook
Jean Donaldson - The Culture Clash.
Both use kind modern techniques and are well thought out.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by mcurrieri View Post
Hello, I'm new to Dogsey. Next week a 1 yr old white German Sheppard will come live on my farm where I raise alpacas. I would like to train him to herd the alpacas. Anyone have experience with training GSD to herd?
you will have to assess the dog was once you have him/her and see whether he has the drives for the work
maybe attend a herding trial there are quite a few people in the US that work their Shepherds on sheep and other livestock;
I am not sure how close these are to you
http://www.whitecloversheepfarm.com/sh-events.htm
in Germany the main event is the SV Bundesleistungshüten
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by mcurrieri View Post
Hello, I'm new to Dogsey. Next week a 1 yr old white German Shepherd will come live on my farm where I raise alpacas. I would like to train him to herd the alpacas. Anyone have experience with training GSD to herd?

GSDs do herd, they can be trained to gather a flock/herd & drive them from pasture to pasture/pasture to farm & to keep sheep/cattle behind a line walked by the shepherd/herdsman in a pasture.

Unless this German Shepherd has been bred from herding bloodlines or has been around stock being young, you may find that he/she has no interest(or the wrong sort of interest)in working.

Not all herding breeds have the desire to herd, but those that come from herding lines are more likely to want.
mcurrieri
New Member!
Male 

18-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
HI

GSD do not really "herd" like BCs etc.................

If you contact some GSD clubs you may find those who are into HGH, failing that you might find help with the Aussie clubs (Australian Shepherd Dog)
checked on Google for Australian Shepherd Dog. Very handsome. I'm sure an ASD would be better herd dog but I am alraedy committed to Wht GSD.

What does HGH stand for
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 11:20 PM
I was not suggesting you GET an ASD but that they do herding training etc!

HGH stands for Herdengebrauchshund =*Herding Dog it is the title GSDs have when they have passed this test.
mcurrieri
New Member!
Male 

19-08-2011, 04:24 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Good luck with it. Most problems with GSDs come when they learn that scary things go away if you shout and act fierce. So if he appears aggressive, turn away and wait till he comes to you. They bluster a lot, but are sensitive underneath.
Two good books are:
James O`Heare - the Dog Aggression Workbook
Jean Donaldson - The Culture Clash.
Both use kind modern techniques and are well thought out.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check into them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >