View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2011, 08:56 PM
This thread is a complete tonic..........no, not because of Lana's problems, but because of the genuine help and sympathy expressed by all who have replied.

Well done Dogsey..........

Lana sounds to have come on in leaps and bounds in so many ways 1cutedog, and you can be proud of yourself to have brought her so far. With your track record for determination, I know that you will overcome this latest problem.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by 1cutedog View Post

TabithaJ, you said
So just keep on walking tall, walking calmly - oh and also even IF you encounter a 'trigger' that would normally make your dog kick off, if you can just keep on walking at the same pace and not pause, honestly this makes a HUGE difference!

Well I didn't do that today. We went up in the wilds for a walk which I won't do again, don't like out in the wilds, no one to hear you scream We were walking along a path and there was a horse with his head right over the fence. I put Lana on the opposite side of me and walked forward a bit. I then told her to sit and tried to give her a treat. She wasn't interested in the treat, so focused on the horse, so I turned around and went back the way we'd come. I thought it would be too stressful for her to go past the horse as she's never seen one before. She was bad enough with a peacock the other week, growling and barking and I didn't want her getting stressed.
road to get past people and she was fine.

Lana does sound rather like Dexter

He goes beserk at horses, and I agree with you when it's a really big 'trigger' like that, it's a good option to turn and walk away.

You might find that after a while, if she gets used to certain triggers, you will be able to keep walking past them, but of course you know her best and you can judge best when a tactical retreat is the best thing
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
On one occasion, he actually jumped into a total stranger's CAR!
haha, sorry had to laugh at that one. I think children and animals are put on earth just to embarass us humans.

Originally Posted by tyr View Post
Agreed. I was handed a tiny JRT bitch once - she pulled like a tank! And I won't mention the occasion when my 16 kg BSD ran full pelt into the end of her long lead. I was standing on gravel and did a slapstick fall... all in front of an audience!
That must have been so embarassing excuse me for laughing

Got the muzzle yesterday and it doesn't fit. I had checked the size chart carefully and Lana's halti is a size 1 so expected this to fit. Found out our vets sell them so I can get one there.

I took Lana to the vets on Thursday as she hasn't been herself for a couple of weeks. I had been going to take her before but there was nothing to tell the vet except, she's not herself Anyway she checked her out thoroughly, and I explained about her going for the other dogs. She's late for her season so the vet wondered if she'd had a dry season and was having a phantom pregnancy, her teats are really big but I'm pretty sure they've always been like that as I was surprised when I got her. She said the vulva is a bit swollen, maybe she is coming into season and to wait a couple of weeks and see how she is.

I've been walking Lana round the streets, avoiding people and dogs although I did let her off the lead at the park yesterday to play with her ball when there were no dogs there. My son was round Thursday and yesterday, Lana greets him like she's never seen a soul for a few years although even when living here she very rarely saw him. We saw him again last night while we were out for a walk. This morning Lana appears back to normal, it's like a great weight has been lifted off her and the nervousness seems to have disappeared also.

We did play with the ball in the park today but as soon as I spotted another dog I put her back on her lead. One of the dogs came running across to Lana. I was a bit wary but Lana pranced around in front of it play bowing, tail wagging like mad but not too near, I didn't allow that, and the dog went away without coming right up to her face, but Lana only showed friendliness. Not that I think I can trust her with all dogs but it was good to see.

The vet told me they have a behaviourist at the vets so that's really good to know, so I'll phone and make an appointment and see what they say.

I'll see how she is the rest of the weekend. Now that I know the vets have the baskerville muzzles I can go in and get one from there and make sure it's a good fit. I will have to learn how to get her to accept it though as she did everything to avoid me placing it on her face to try it out.

She christened the new carpet yesterday, she brought up bile, 3 lots on my new carpet. How dare she
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2011, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=1cutedog;2252077]

Lana pranced around in front of it play bowing, tail wagging like mad

This is exactly what Dex does, especially the play bowing!

Lana sounds pretty friendly, so I think that's a great sign and I'm sure a good trainer/behaviourist will be able to help you a lot, hopefully soon Lana will be playing and having fun with the other dogs in the park
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Oh your poor new carpet!!! Why do our dogs show such ingratitude and total disregard for treasured new possessions!!!

It does sound a little hormonal all this doesn't it. The good thing is, that her true nature is most probably the playful friendly one.........not the flip side which surfaced briefly and has made you wary and nervous.

I know that you will get to the bottom of this, and then rise to the top
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2011, 12:03 AM
Will see about the behavourist at the vets very soon. Lana is back to her old self today, I can't believe the difference in her.

Out walking tonight we had to pass lots of crowds of drunken people. I had heard a football match going on today but hadn't realised so many of them came into town afterwards Absolutely no problem from Lana when passing them all. I did keep her on a very short lead when we had to go inbetween any and was ready to react if she did anything but she was fine. I've no idea what's been wrong with her the last couple of weeks. Not that I'm going to suddenly let her run free in the park again, no way, I want to be sure everything is fine again and get some input from someone else otherwise I'll always be wary when dogs she doesn't know are around.

I thought she might have come into season, but still no sign of it. Maybe she had a dry season like the vet was thinking. I'll see if she comes into season soon, if not I will take this time as her having been in season, after getting her checked out again, and get her spayed in a couple of months. If this is how she is affected there's no way I would let her go through it again.

What a shame when Lana was boaking, she was near the kitchen door so I dashed across and opened it and was trying to get her in there, she ran off to the hallway door so I rushed and opened it and probably gave her a fright. She moved away and puked on the carpet and immediately looked as though she was going to be beaten. I petted her instead and just left her to puke again. It could have been worse, she might have had diarrhea
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3