View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Poppydee
New Member!
Female 

13-04-2011, 08:39 AM

Our dog 'went' for my husband this morning - worried!

Hi - a few months ago I had some sound advice about our year old Bichon Frise - Titch. Despite being a fab dog - she was behaving quite strangely towards my husband. She was growling at him whilst jumping up and wagging her tail at the same time - we thought it odd but weren't overly concerned. Then she started growling at him whenever she was sat with me and he approached - this did concern us as she seemed to be protecting me. All the advice given geared towards him doing more of the feeding, walking etc... and me taking a bit of a back seat - and absolutely no physical punishment whatsoever - we were told that this was a complete 'no' 'no' - All advice which my husband really took on board and he has become much more involved with her care and now takes her for regular walks on his own. She seems to absolutely adore him so I really thought we'd turned a corner. She does still growl when she is sat with me of an evening and he approaches (sometimes my daughter too) but if she does this I instantly put her on the floor and tell her a very firm 'no' - this seems to be helping - but this morning she has really worried me - I was still in bed and my husband was downstairs with Titch - he came up to say goodbye to me and was quickly followed by Titch - she was jumping up at the back of his legs, which is something she often does - but on entering our bedroom - she just suddenly properly went for him - snarling and snapping at this ankles! - the snarling was far worse than I've heard her use before - she obviously meant business - it was more than her usual warning. My husband instinctively kicked his leg out to get her off and shouted very loudly at her - which did the trick and she sulked off. I didn't intervene as I'm pretty sure I would have kicked out too! Now I'm worried that we've been too soft? - we certainly don't want to start lashing out at her - but I also realise that this behaviour is just not acceptable. She is a cracking little dog but this is really worrying me now - any advice really appreciated - thanks Poppydee
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-04-2011, 08:42 AM
when your husband took over care, how long for?

and how much of a back seat did you take?
was she still cuddled upon your lap, for example?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Get a decent behaviourist in before you get into more problems with her.

This sometimes happens if you take internet advice from people who haven't seen the situation or the dog.

rune
Poppydee
New Member!
Female 

13-04-2011, 08:57 AM
He has been taking her out for regular weekend walks for over 3 months now - she has got to know this routine - this is her longest walk of the week and she loves to go out with him and my husband really enjoys it too.

I would have to be honest and say I haven't taken a complete back seat as I'm probably still the main 'walker' / 'feeder' - but this is because I'm around the home more than anyone else in the family.

Yes she does still cuddle up with me of an evening. She will settle - on the odd occasion - with my husband or teenage son - but predominately it is more likely to be with me!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 09:20 AM
I agree with getting a behaviourist on board.
I know alot of people don;t agree with pack structure (alot of my friends don't) but IMO she seems to be putting your hubby below her in the structure when she is cuddled upto you.
Mojo tried this once when I first had her with my hubby when he leant across to kiss me goodbye, although with her it was just a grumble, I immediately removed her (not even giving my hubby a kiss first) and gave her time out in the kitchen with a firm NO, thankfully she hasn't done it since, but I wanted her to see that it was not exceptable.A behaviourist can come in and work with what they can see visually happening and Im sure they can help you sort this out.

Best wishes
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 09:30 AM
The internet can be a fabulous source of advice, but, and it's a big but, it can also be a very dangerous source of advice too.

Where aggression of any kind is concerned, you always need someone who can physically observe the situation and go in depth into routine etc. There are as many causes for aggression as there are 'cures' and matching the right cause with the wrong cure, or vice-versa, can accelerate the problem and make it far worse.

The 'too soft' comment was one that screamed out from your post. The kick out and shout worked this time because your little dog was shocked by it. Next time she won't be so shocked.

The best advice anyone can give is to choose a reputable behaviourist who is used to dealing with aggressive cases of this nature. Ask if they have had success with similar cases in the past and if they have worked with your breed of dog previously. Ask what type of methods they adopt and if you feel at all uneasy about anything they say, look further afield.

The problem you are seeing is not unique and success rate is high in overcoming this type of behaviour provided you get the correct help.
Poppydee
New Member!
Female 

13-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Thank you for that - Behaviourist seems the best route - what would the best route for contacting one - through our vet maybe? thanks
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by Poppydee View Post
Thank you for that - Behaviourist seems the best route - what would the best route for contacting one - through our vet maybe? thanks
Glad you are going to get some pro help
Your vet might be a good idea - if she is insured then it might be covered on the insurance too
Or the APBC or APDT's are good places to look, they have fairly high standards for their trainers and behaviourists
In the mean time I would just stop situations where conflict is likely to happen - cos the more she does it the more she gets used to it

Prob be a good idea to stop the snuggling on your lap for a little while, I know its hard but really she dosent deserve the privalige right now
and possibly just shut the door and dont let her follow your husband into the bedroom

I wouldnt get into conflict with her, being more violent than her wont teach her the right lesson

Persoanly I would just put her out the room - no fuss, no shouting, just quickly out the room if she shows any grumblyness
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by Poppydee View Post
Vets usually carry contact names. There's also the APBC, APDT (although some members only work as trainers rather than behaviourists), local newspaper ads.

Collect as many contact numbers as you can, then do the legwork (ie ring them all, ask lots of questions and then, and only then make your choice from the one you feel most comfortable with)