Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 08:39 PM

Why does my GSD not want dogs near him?

Just been on the field talking to someone i know whos got a gsd and a rottie x and my dog just growls everytime they sniff him or get too close and he stands right against me. He used to love playing with other dogs aswell but now he just doesn't want them near him.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2011, 09:04 PM
A sudden behaviour change is often a sign of illness, so a trip to the vets is in order.

If they give the all clear you need someone who can asses his behaviour. So finding a positive behaviourist could be a good idea. It sounds like a fear thing, is he OK with one dog at a time, smaller dogs, larger dogs? Who did he used to play with? When did it change? Has he had a gap in doggy play dates? Does he meet new dogs every day?

I have a general rule that my lad has to see a mimimum of 3 dogs each day, but we often aim for 5. On nice days it can be upwards of 10 for each walk. He doesn't say hello to all of them, as I don't want him thinking he has to run up to every dog he sees. But we do say hello to most of them.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by SarahJade View Post
A sudden behaviour change is often a sign of illness, so a trip to the vets is in order.

If they give the all clear you need someone who can asses his behaviour. So finding a positive behaviourist could be a good idea. It sounds like a fear thing, is he OK with one dog at a time, smaller dogs, larger dogs? Who did he used to play with? When did it change? Has he had a gap in doggy play dates? Does he meet new dogs every day?

I have a general rule that my lad has to see a mimimum of 3 dogs each day, but we often aim for 5. On nice days it can be upwards of 10 for each walk. He doesn't say hello to all of them, as I don't want him thinking he has to run up to every dog he sees. But we do say hello to most of them.
Hes been iffy with other dogs for a long time now, hes ok once hes been introduced to them though but still doesn't really like them too close, apart from my friends lab, hes really good with her.
He only really meets dogs who he knows, if i don't know the owner or dog then i keep him away. He seems more relaxed around smaller dogs and is better when theres only 1 as if the others start to play you can tell hes on edge.

I don't really want to go down the behaviourist route as hes 6 now and like i say its not a new thing i just wondered if anyone had any ideas as to why he is like he is.

I think it could have been an incident with a black lab when he was about 12m that seemed to change him (it had a real go at him which then went into a fight, no physical damage to either dog) we had him neutered at 18m which seemed to make him slightly worse.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2011, 09:33 PM
One bad experience can have a lot to answer for. And yes neutering a nervous/fearful male dog will often make it worse, as you effect the hormones.

While all that is in the past there are some simple tips you can do while out and about to help you both cope and manage the situations. Simple commands such as sit, down, watch me, touch (my hand or foot with your nose), hide (behind me) and others can help. Anything to take your dogs focus off other dogs. If walking past dogs which are very fixated on their activity or on lead a distance away, scattering treats on the floor to find can be quite a relaxing way of letting the situation settle before continuing. Never to be done in places with dogs running around as they will just come for the free grub!

Always make sure your dog has plenty of space and is feeling confident. If he is worried just keep things short and sweet, or walk steadily past strange dogs to build his confidence. Again seeing numerous new dogs each day can often help and that is where my break through with Cookie came, 3 a day is our very minimum. If we have a few days of just 3 new dogs (have to be ones he has never met before as he has a really good memory) then we have to go in search of extras while out. Weekends tend to rack up into double digits, while sunny weekends can be over 20, these days really help. But we have built him up to this level to cope with all these new dogs, slowly taking him to new places and watching how he copes, if he struggles we go back a step and give him longer. Pushing a scared dog will just make the situation so much worse.

Now he is doing great and even comes to help as a distraction for dog aggressive dogs for our behaviourist and will keep puppies in check on group puppy walks. The turn around is fantastic and the best thing I have ever done. Just thinking about how much better his life is for it makes me so happy and proud I could help him.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Wow youve done really well with him then
Dukes pretty good in the fact he rarely reacts to other dogs when we pass them he just doesn't like them too close but again sometimes a dog will come over while hes on lead and he will be fine and sometimes not just depends how the other dog is. It also makes no difference to him if its a dog or bitch
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Mines the same, its more size orientated than gender. But he was very very reactive on lead. Not barking, just lunging and wanting to get at it. His body language was not playful in any way. He's not 100% and never will be, but off lead he is pretty great. What is yours like off lead? Does it help? Does he wonder about or just stick close by?
One thing is we never seem to have problems in our house. He might try to mount the other dog as an attention seeking thing but otherwise he is always fine. So we figured its a confidence thing.

But yeah we are so proud of him, all because of a few attacks my dogs while he was younger and having him neutered as the vet said it would help with the aggression which turned out to be fear...
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by SarahJade View Post
Mines the same, its more size orientated than gender. But he was very very reactive on lead. Not barking, just lunging and wanting to get at it. His body language was not playful in any way. He's not 100% and never will be, but off lead he is pretty great. What is yours like off lead? Does it help? Does he wonder about or just stick close by?
One thing is we never seem to have problems in our house. He might try to mount the other dog as an attention seeking thing but otherwise he is always fine. So we figured its a confidence thing.

But yeah we are so proud of him, all because of a few attacks my dogs while he was younger and having him neutered as the vet said it would help with the aggression which turned out to be fear...
Hes better offlead but i wouldn't like to risk it with a dog hes not met before (just incase) and he doesn't go far at all when offlead only goes off if i throw his ball. He was offlead with the dogs today as i know the owner and dogs and the owner if fine about it.

Its funny you say about in the house as weve fostered a rottie bitch and he was fine and ive had my aunties jack russel pup round and he was ok hmmm strange!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 10:31 PM
If your dog does not have a go at other dogs and he just does not like them invading his space, then your dog sounds perfectly normal to me. I do not like people invading my space either; have you read #He only wants to say Hi# which you can find under the free articles on Flying Dog Press?

That should put things into perspective for you.

It is not necessary for dogs to like every dog they meet, as it is not necessary for humans to do same, all that is necessary is that everyone displays good manners.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2011, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
It is not necessary for dogs to like every dog they meet, as it is not necessary for humans to do same, all that is necessary is that everyone displays good manners.
Very good point. However I love to take my dog to the park and have him interact and play with the other dogs, and for him to be nice and calm when around other dogs.
Also the way he held himself, and sometimes still does you can tell he is not happy, and is quite scared, I much prefer him to be relaxed. As I believe (with my dog) that he is acting out of fear I have changed his behaviour by changing his opinion about most dogs. I would be quite happy about him ignoring other dogs, but it developed into 'I'll get you before you get me'. Now off lead he still feels the need to go and check them out every now and then, but is quite well mannered when he is near them.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 08:26 AM
I appreciate your dog was fearful, my response was to the OP, I have two dogs with excellent temperaments, who are confident in sltuations and with all dogs; NEITHER appreciates their space being invaded.

Neither do I.

They have no need for behavioural modification, unlike yours.

My point was that the behaviour described by the original poster did not need "curing".
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >