Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Motley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:16 AM

Help me decipher this behavior please

We have just got back from our walk. On the way back Motley was barked at and saw two cats and didnt react at all so i think he was quite chilled.

Round here all the postmen/women seem to carry dog treats to try and up themselves from snack to friend with the local dogs. Its quite annoying really because once Motley has seen the post trolley he plants himself to the floor and wont move til the postie turns up and gives him a treat (unless i purposely carry a higher value treat such as cheese)

Just now we saw the post lady, she gave him a treat then what happened next happened in about a quarter of a second so im a bit confused.

She gave him the treat then raised her fingers, i dont know if she was a bit scared of him and pulled her fingers back quickly or if she went to tuck her hair behind her ear or what, but Motley reacted and jumped up making a quiet growly kind of noise. I wouldnt say he snapped at her, but it was definitely the fingers he was following.

I am going to tell her not to offer him treats again. My husband doesnt like this lady as apparently she once called Motley from the other side of the road and he almost pulled my husband and himself into the path of a car (pre halti days!) So I dont know if Motley has picked up on the husbands vibes (though he wasnt here today)

Any advice welcomed, and obviously this is totally out of character for Motley.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:26 AM
This is quite common in both horses and dogs, because people do not give food correctly.

I always teach clients to teach their dogs that "pointy fingers" mean nothing, food ONLY comes from flat of hand; that way you avoid getting children's fingers nipped etc and the dog cannot "miss" the treat and get your finger.

Either do not allow your dog to dictate when and where he gets treats.

Teach the postmen how to give food correctly.

Or do not allow food to be given at all, get them to throw it on the floor!
Motley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:30 AM
thanks, i think i will tell her not to treat him. I also think she is scared of dogs which is why she is giving them treats, but if he is sensing her being nervous that does panic him, he is very sensitive, we think because he had a bit of a rubbish start to life.

Thanks for replying
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:50 AM
I agree with SB's advice. Also I've often found that some children & adults that are nervous of dogs tend to offer treats but then snatch their hand away very quickly, almost in anticipation of being nipped (& sometimes still clutching the treat!). So no wonder some dogs become "snatchy" when taking treats ~ they need to grab it quick before it's taken away!

Personally if I had a reactive dog I would not allow a nervous postwoman to give my dogs treats at all, & in fact I think I'd actively avoid her by crossing the road or turning round & walking the other way. It's almost as though she is using other peoples' dogs to help her overcome her fears. And possibly in the process making otherwise friendly dogs appear nervous, snatchy & now wary of uniformed people! If the postwoman is nervous of dogs then it is a problem that she needs to sort out, not just approach random dogs & offer them treats in the hope that this will cure her fears!!