View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 09:33 PM
I've ordered one as well - the medium - from a site on Ebay that stocks them (same price).
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Well I got the Farflung, Medium ball and medium Ball on a Rope yesterday.

Here is the all out review

The Farflung does not fling far! I really dont rate it as a far flinging thrower at all. However what I do like is that it is retractable so I dont feel like I am carrying a walking stick thats too short and the part that holds the ball has a good grip unlike the launcher types that are more like cups - so less likely to lose the ball or have it nicked by a dog.....(we do meet a thief of a dog sometimes...and Loui himself is not beyond this) so I will still be using the Farflung for those reasons.

The medium ball; well I think its great, Loui not so much, apparently being able to chomp them flat first go is the name of the game in playtime, however he is getting used to the fact that on walks this is the ball we are playing with! He played more with it today. (have to admit the sudden weather change was taking its toll so that may have something to do with it) He has bitten down on it though and all it leaves is a few nicks out the surface and when you wash it off after a walk it does not fill with water. Also, even though the matching thrower isnt the best at throwing distance wise (this may be as I am used to a different type?) the ball itself does and it bounces well off trees etc so I feel safer than one that just drops right down...also the ball will roll more so lets them 'chase' after it on the flat, which he did like. If you put it in the Launcher type thrower, you would need a massive clear area to throw it as it would go really far then. All in all very practical ball and I am convinced it will last at least the summer (probably a lot longer).

The ball on a rope; There is a band over the end of the rope so I dont know if its melted together or stitched underneath. The medium ball on a rope is also a lot wider/bigger than the medium ball (not on a rope) so cant really use in the thrower then have a tug on return if you wanted to (with the same toy). No biggie though.
The ball part is the same material as the normal ball (without a rope) so looks great for them holding onto, however Loui seems to want to hold the rope not the ball with this one Strange. Also do not know if the rope looks like it will last that but then I doubt thats what its designed for so I will need to persevere with trying to get him to hold the ball part.

I am wondering if it is the slightly unusual texture (compared to other balls) that is putting him off?

Think I will try rubbing something like cheese on the ball (on a rope). Kind of stumped here tbh as not had this problem before.

Would I still recomend these? Yes, and I would say great for pups and adult dogs, I'd even say start off on this type to avoid the 'disposable balls' problem. I do find it odd that you cant seem to see these in any pet shops as I wish I had bought these before and would think they would make good sellers (maybe more profit in selling loads of rubbish than a few good ones?)

So thanks for the tip Smokeybear (now tell me how to get him holding the ball part )
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Good observation.

Some dogs prefer to hold things by the rope, or dummies by the toggle, it is a bit like playing an instrument I find.

A few decades ago I read a very interesting book, called the Right Instrument for your Child (I forget the author) and (bear with me) she said that not all children are suited to all instruments eg not everyone would like the vibration caused by a violin going through their head, some people do not like sticking things in their mouths, some people like playing alone or with groups. So it is best to experiment with instruments rather than provide them with (insert relevant one) and say this is it.

the same is true for toys. For example, some dogs usually GSD and BSD will prefer the carrying of stuff, whereas the bull breeds and Rotties prefer tugging, so getting the right toy for your dog is perhaps more important than it first seems.

I am not sure I would go down the route of smearing cheese on a ball that I did not want the dog to destroy though............. You are likely to increase the likelihood of it being destroyed........
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 03:19 PM
I am not sure I would go down the route of smearing cheese on a ball that I did not want the dog to destroy though............. You are likely to increase the likelihood of it being destroyed........

haha, yes I know, I was thinking just as a little incentive? (he wont be left with the ball and it wont always be smeared forever?)

However your probably right - he would probably give up and lick knowing he wont be left with it Maybe I will let him grab the rope I think it is because its a different texture to rubber (which gets destroyed) perhaps?

Mind you, by the end of 'playtime' with the ball/thrower, he decided to try and nick the ball.....so cant be all that bad!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Great review there Natalie, you certainly got all angles covered with this new equipment, but smearing cheese on a ball to gain interest is definitely a new one on me (mainly coz I never have a problem with ANY ball in this house ).

Anyhoo, having read your great review I'm going to stick with my Orbee on a rope. The main reasons I love this ball is:

Zena's a "carrier", and it's light, and sometimes I go a long way on that bike, so the lighter the better.

I never use a chucket/launcher whatever, that's one of the main reasons I like the rope, coz I can lob it quite far, unlike a normal ball without the rope. I tried a chuckitt once and Zena is obsessed with the things, she attacked it, grabbed the end and went quite mental on me, just as she does when she sees other people with them, so that's a big no no here. I might give it a go again now that she's older, but then again, quite honestly, with my breed, I don't really want to be lobbing it any further than I can chuck it myself coz of her joints, but then that's me, I'm a worrier! I'm not a ball chucker as such, she only gets it lobbed half a dozen or so times on a long walk, she gets far too hyper and stressed if I throw it too much. Also, where the heck would I put it when on the bike!

Another reason it has to be a rope ball, is because of the size. I've heard of a dog Zena's size, catching a hard rubber ball (tennis ball size) and it slipped into the throat and choked the dog, and Zena loves catching her ball in the air, so the rope would stop any of that, especially this Orbee because of the way the thick rope is around the ball.
Also, for when I want to grab her quickly, by holding the rope, she's going nowhere, and I can guide her through difficult places/pass horrible dogs or whatever, without the need to put a lead on.

It's a very appealing ball, because it tastes "minty", all other dogs we meet go out of their way to steal it, then they lie down with it and start chewing off the rubber bits, which Zena has never done so that's how I know it's a very likeable ball for the dog.

I bought 3 of these, and all 3 are still intact, all the ropes have survived winter walks without getting freyed or rotten, and they have all come under the dishwasher test and survived that well.

I'm going to get just the one of these you recommend, the one on the rope and see how we go with it, because it floats and I don't know whether my Orbee's will float and of course, we'll be doing the beach soon. Last time we took a tennis ball and it was a disaster, Zena wouldn't let me have it, it was all wet and soggy and flat OMG I was scared stiff as she was only a puppy at the time, I thought she'd choke on it, so a floater is definitely what I'm after! Would you say the medium is tennis ball size then? I went for a large with the Orbee as well as the mediums but Zena shows now interest, because the big ones have to squeak and that doesn't!
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Medium 'Orbee on a rope' fan here too - I have a few and they last AGES. Though I do like the look of this ball, so might try one sometime.

Helena - Orbees do float - we play in the river and the sea with ours & haven't lost one yet!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm going to get just the one of these you recommend, the one on the rope and see how we go with it, because it floats and I don't know whether my Orbee's will float and of course, we'll be doing the beach soon. Last time we took a tennis ball and it was a disaster, Zena wouldn't let me have it, it was all wet and soggy and flat OMG I was scared stiff as she was only a puppy at the time, I thought she'd choke on it, so a floater is definitely what I'm after! Would you say the medium is tennis ball size then? I went for a large with the Orbee as well as the mediums but Zena shows now interest, because the big ones have to squeak and that doesn't!
Well I didnt put it in the pond today as a grumpy lab that was intent on 'starting on' Loui came along just as we got there but I have just this minute put it in a basin of water and it does indeed float
This ball definatley does not go soggy either and keeps its shape, does not fill up with water either, even with his tooth marks (and they are more like little nicks than the usual) The medium ball on a rope is much bigger than a tennis ball I'd say. So the large would well be big enough but I will try to post a photo of the medium one I have next to a tennis ball tomorrow if you like?

As for ball thrower on a bike, the Farflung does retract which is why I will still take it, so it fits in a bag (maybe the handle stick out a bit) but is fairly lightweight, I dont think you could get it to hold the large ball though.

The balls are light so if she wanted to carry it miles she could really.

I think the ball on a rope would bounce up well enough for her to catch too. You dont need to cut the rope either if you prefer one bit as it goes through both sides of the ball for them to hold but links together so a single bit rope you hold. (even though I may end up holding the ball end )
I think when Loui realises this tuggy actually bouces and he can chase it etc then have a tug he will be ok....

Edit - the medium ball (not on a rope) is tennis ball sized but the medium ball on a rope is bigger than the tennis balls I had at home. It is sort of semi-oval but round if that makes any sense.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by tokiayla View Post
Medium 'Orbee on a rope' fan here too - I have a few and they last AGES. Though I do like the look of this ball, so might try one sometime.

Helena - Orbees do float - we play in the river and the sea with ours & haven't lost one yet!
do the orbees flex though?

I looked at the Orbees before but the thing that put me off was that they looked 'hard' and 'solid' if you know what I mean?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 06:05 PM
No, they flex nicely, in fact, I'd say they're far more flexible than even a tennis ball, they're very soft, and light, but very tough, made of strong rubber, and they're not solid if you know what I mean. Even Zena's flatcoat friend tried to destory hers many a time, but has only managed to get the rubber bits off the outside, the ball is still intact.

Thanks for letting me know these Orbee's float, coz we haven't done water since we got them, except for the pool and they don't seem to float in there, but then it's not very deep is it. Hmmm, I might go and try one out in the pool coz it's filled up atm!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
No, they flex nicely, in fact, I'd say they're far more flexible than even a tennis ball, they're very soft, and light, but very tough, made of strong rubber, and they're not solid if you know what I mean. Even Zena's flatcoat friend tried to destory hers many a time, but has only managed to get the rubber bits off the outside, the ball is still intact.

Thanks for letting me know these Orbee's float, coz we haven't done water since we got them, except for the pool and they don't seem to float in there, but then it's not very deep is it. Hmmm, I might go and try one out in the pool coz it's filled up atm!
did it float?
are the orbees hollow then?
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >