Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
My 2 would find it torment! But I'm guessing show dogs just get used to it?
..Ours that are shown like the day out - they havent just got use to it as have been great from the off set, what dog wouldnt like to be out wit their owners, meeting over people and other dogs? we planned on showing one of mums and after a few club shows we didnt bother again hes a little git and didnt like the kind of busy enviroment champ shows have - so he is not shown.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
My 2 would find it torment! But I'm guessing show dogs just get used to it?
Yep, was just about to say the same.

Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Are you aware how many dogs show at crufts...If the vet checked all dogs, we really would be there for 12hours - something you stated was wrong

Checking over the winners, is a step forward and means only them in top health ect can gain top placings...
I know, I agree but it's because of Crufts that this has to be done in the first place! Everybody trying to win prizes and money by prancing their dogs round in the ring in front of huge crowds. Just doesn't seem right to me.

The fact that their top sponsor is a sofa company speak volumes imo.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 07:39 PM
I went for the first time 2 years ago with my little un and we both loved it.

Met up with Beau's breeder, and his dad's breeder, got to watch loads of gorgeous Ridgies strutting their stuff.

It was worth it for that alone but then you have DD and the agility. I thought it was a great event.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I know, I agree but it's because of Crufts that this has to be done in the first place! Everybody trying to win prizes and money by prancing their dogs round in the ring in front of huge crowds. Just doesn't seem right to me.

The fact that their top sponsor is a sofa company speak volumes imo.
Crufts is merely a dog show, just bigger than any other champ show.
I doubt people show to win money, most shows dont offer money prizes and them that do would never even break you even on the entry fees.
I can always tell when someone doesnt understand why showing is done bu the comment ' prancing dogs around a ring '..

Also you didnt answer my orginal question regarding buying pedigree pups, shopping where Iams in on sale ect..
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-01-2011, 07:41 PM
or am I on my own with this one?

no, one of the most mind numbingly boring days i ever experienced.
too hectic, too pressurerised
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Doesn't anyone think it's good for folk with assistance dog s to be included
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 07:44 PM
So, looking at this time table Best in Show is at 20.30pm. That means that the winners of each breed need to be there from at least 9am to go through all of the pre-class judging.

Seems like a very long day to me.

http://www.crufts.org.uk/whats-on/day4
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Actually, in their defence some of the main sponsors are very good.

Arden Grange are the only dog food who are entirely test free and Samsung do heaps to sponsor animal welfare and I think they have an assistance animal set up.

This bit on their homepage is hilarious -

''Vet checks for high profile breeds at Crufts 2012 and Championship Shows thereafter

The Kennel Club has announced that all dogs of the fifteen high profile breeds which win Best of Breed at Crufts 2012 and at General and Group Championship Shows after that, will need to be given a clean bill of health by the show veterinary surgeon before their Best of Breed awards are confirmed and before they are allowed to continue to compete at the show. This requirement is designed to improve canine health and protect the sport of dog showing.''

Riiiiiight. So only the winning dogs will be checked and by their own vet. Worth it!
If any of the dogs had a problem, surely it would be picked up by the the main judge in the ring or a spectator and reported. IMO not enough people report things that they find uneasy (like dogs struggling to breathe in the ring etc), and so nothing is done. If more people reported stuff they don't like, surely Crufts can only improve and the dogs eorthy of inning can stand a better chance?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Flynn loving Crufts!

Hes not going this year now hes retired!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Flynn loving Crufts!

Hes not going this year now hes retired!
god he looks so miserable and unhappy
Page 4 of 103 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 54 > Last »