register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Dog aggresive dogs on lead
Should be muzzled - end of 68 48.57%
Should have the choice to be unmuzzled 72 51.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 5 of 16 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Yes well we have all known equipment to fail!

Including muzzles!

ALL things are possible, much less is probable!

These types of dogs and incidents are EXTREMELY rare, it does not mean that this is a precedent.

Dear heavens above, I have owned dogs for 30 years, travelled all over the UK and abroad, been exposed to THOUSANDS of dogs and I have personally witnessed only 3 SERIOUS attacks.

99% of all alleged "attacks" are all mouth and no trousers.

Everything needs to be kept in proportion!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 02:44 PM
99% of all alleged "attacks" are all mouth and no trousers.

Everything needs to be kept in proportion!
which with all your experience will know that, that isnt actual attacks at all then!

I still agree with claire when she wrote;
I don`t think you can generalise like that. Each situation has to be considered separately
and think this whole anti-muzzle attitude isnt helping many dogs that otherwise would have more chance of being able to learn to accept certain things etc...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 02:51 PM
I don't see any posts which state posters are "anti muzzle" per se!

I think muzzles are appropriate in certain situations and unecessary in others and complete overkill in yet others.

And you have understood my point EXACTLY, most behaviour is misinterpreted by other people, it does not stop them accusing others of having a dangerous dog.

Actual risk and the perception of risk are often confused..........
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I don't see any posts which state posters are "anti muzzle" per se!
Clear implications everywhere and I did say 'attitude' which is how I know its coming accross to me.I think muzzles are appropriate in certain situations and unecessary in others and complete overkill in yet others.

and I agree
And you have understood my point EXACTLY, most behaviour is misinterpreted by other people, it does not stop them accusing others of having a dangerous dog.

Actual risk and the perception of risk are often confused..........
I agree and I think anyone who has seen a dog being attacked or the results of one wouldnt be so quick to say their dog is DA and shouldnt wear a muzzle when as you say the majority are all mouth and no trousers - a 'get lost' in dog language rather than aggression.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Meg used to give a warning,these were ignored by other dogs and there owners so she doesn't bother anymore,I however like my O/H can read her and know she is uncomfortable and will bite but only if a dog charges,jumps on her or attempts to bite her.

If a dog is offlead and doesn't bother her she will walk past completely ignoring it,she was within 5ft of an offlead dog,we spoke to it's owner and she sat down turned her back and was quite happy to ignore it.

Meg has a fear of other dogs after been bitten,charged at and jumped all over countless times,no wonder she feels she has to defend herself all the time

How someone can judge a dog isn't fearful by looking at it,and just asuming it's DA without any cause for it is beyond me.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm not anti muzzle, I'm happy to muzzle when the situation calls for it. I don't feel a walk down the street with a leashed dog does call for it though.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I'm not anti muzzle, I'm happy to muzzle when the situation calls for it. I don't feel a walk down the street with a leashed dog does call for it though.
Exactly in fact we do use a muzzle at the vet or groomers when we feel they are needed. I just can't take what little enjoyment Duncan has away from him by making him miserable on every walk, when others could easily keep their dogs away from him.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 03:47 PM
i am not anti muzzle either..infact the way things are going it could become law...all my dogs have been habituated to it incase the need ever arises exp Tupac because of the way he looks.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
i am not anti muzzle either..infact the way things are going it could become law...all my dogs have been habituated to it incase the need ever arises exp Tupac because of the way he looks.
I'm afraid if that ever did happen it would mean these would be the last dogs I would ever own, especially when all it takes is a little respect and politeness to keep dogs apart.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Julie1962 View Post
I'm afraid if that ever did happen it would mean these would be the last dogs I would ever own, especially when all it takes is a little respect and politeness to keep dogs apart.
Just out curiosity, why?
Page 5 of 16 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »